1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't this a little much?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Dec 11, 2007.

1. My goodness - I didn't even notice the "holding up a poster of Vick" part of the first sentence. That's not okay. The eye-black stuff...I agree with Chuck. Questionable, but not unquestionably objectionable - I find it hard to fault anyone for expressing solidarity with a friend who just went to jail, even though the crimes here were reprehensible. But...to carry out the poster is to glorify him - and to lead us to believe that the MV7 means "You got screwed, Mike" instead of "We hope you can make it through."

In conclusion, I half-retract my "this is okay with me."

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not like the guy got nailed for unpaid parking tickets.

He's a killer. No expression of solidarity is acceptable.

3. Mmm. I don't know. Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow.

4. It's all ok. I'm a cat person anyways.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Free Joe Francis

6. No jokes about the killing of dogs, please.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Then you weren't watching the same game as me.
    Plenty of white people with #7 jerseys, including kids.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I don't mind Hall's gesture. As someone who likes dogs more than people sometimes, I find Vick's actions abhorrent. But there's nothing wrong for showing support for someone who - unlike a lot of athletes - is actually taking the full brunt of the rehabilitation system. If my best friend gets carted away to the House Of Ravaged Starfish, that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to stop being his friend.

That being said, Roddy White can have his testicles basted in Worcestershire sauce and be tossed into a dog pen for all I care.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd just like to point out that Newberry's lines following the descriptions of the two Atlanta Boneheads was priceless:

"Hall and White can only hope Vick didn't have cable TV in his jail cell, because this was another ugly performance by the team No. 7 put in such a bind with his off-the-field troubles."

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's right. the dogs lost so they deserved to die.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Come on now, man, it was dogs not people. I am not saying what he did was OK and I am not saying that he shouldn't get jail time, but to say his teammates and friends can't show solidarity is ridiculous.
    He didn't torture and kill a bunch of humans like our government has done.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted