1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isles give DiPietro 15 year/67.5 million deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Sep 12, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Now, that'sfunny.

If you're an Islanders fan, go ahead and buy that DiPietro jersey. He's not going anywhere.

I think the thing that's stunning about this deal is the length and the total number of dollars. But if you break it down, he's only earning $4.5 million per year. That's very cap-friendly and it should allow them to add players as need be. It's not as restricting a deal as the one Yashin signed.

The other thing it does is that shows that the one of the most unstable organizations in sports has some stability; DiPietro ain't going anywhere for a long time.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They've signed this guy until he's 40. Truly nuts.

HB, what if he suffers a career ending injury? Isles are still stuck.

Or, more likely, instead of turning into the next Patrick Roy he morphs into Garth Snow? Then you're paying $4.5 million for a back-up AND an untradeable asset.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

No, but the we know where the pucks will be going?

If that happens, according to fine print in the contract, DiPietro assumes the GM position.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No contract outs are allowed with the new CBA. But this contract will probably make it through 2 more CBAs so who knows what lies ahead.

The only buyout would be 2/3 of whatever the remaining contract is, and it would count against the cap.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Isles are reportedly bringing in Mike Dunham for a tryout as the backup. Can't wait until Dunham plays better than DiPietro and wonders why they signed the guy to a 15-year contract.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, good, now they have two mediocre goalies.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

At least Dunham is better than his new GM

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

That really isn't saying much.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's not saying anything.

One of the great mysteries of the universe is how Garth Snow made it to the NHL.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

As a female, non-hockey fan? I'll just say the mug shot I saw of DiPietro yesterday means I'd put him on my active roster for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted