1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islanders cut Yashin loose....Please, Toronto, don't even think about it.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 6, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There are rumblings that if the Bruins struggle out of the gate, Jacobs may fire Lewis and bring Milbury in as coach.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

All of them proven winners, multiple Stanley Cup champions. The Isles could do worse than bring these guys back. Just don't forget Trottier and Duane and Brent Sutter. :D

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey now, easy on Chyz. He was brought up way too soon and, once he fell, was never really given another shot.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If somebody signs Yashin do the Isles still take a cap hit?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Re: Islanders cut Yashin loose....Please, Toronto, don't even think about it....

OK, let's get one thing straight. Alexi Yashin did not hoist Lord Stanley's Cup over his head and skate a lap around Nassau Veterans Memorial Colosseum. That would have required Mr. Carol Alt to actually play in the playoffs.

That being said, the signing of Yashin did bring the Islanders back to the NHL. They never were able to get through the first round, but not all of that failure can be blamed on Yashin. So, while his teams weren't all that successful, it sure as hell beat the crap out of the dreck Isles fans were accustomed to in the mid-to-late 90s.

And JR, Yashin will look splendid in Maple Leaf blue. From October to early April, anyway.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

$2.2 mill a year for four years, I believe.

In the scheme of things--the cap is expected to go up to $50 million next year, an OK deal.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Blackhawks could use a center. Philly, too.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bite your fucking tongue.

9. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

He'll have to sign in the West. Eastern Conference teams know what a dog he is every night. Some unsuspecting Western g.m. will be the one who thinks he can wake him up. More I think about it, the more I think Hitchcock might get in his face in Columbus, once they get a g.m. in place there. The new guy will be looking to make a splash and put his fingerprint on the team and Yashin might just do it -- especially if Fedorov is there to prod him in the dressing room.

10. The interesting part of this story was Meehan saying the Islanders' decision to get rid of Yashin would not play a critical role in Smyth's decision. I don't know if that's just agent-speak, but there seems to be no doubt that the Isles would love to have Smyth back, as their captain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/sports/hockey/07islanders.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I don't think Yashin is as much of a dog as much as he is going downhill, fast. A team that signs him to be a top-line center would be extraordinarily stupid.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Whatever spectrum you want to use, Smyth & Yashin are at opposite ends.

Smyth is an absolutely fearless hockey player and Yashin is and always has been a do-nothing malcontent.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I guess Elliotte's Toronto Maple Leafs plans have hit a snag. Guess the Isles won't be getting McCabe for Yashin, as Elliotte's team plan stated on CBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted