1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamophobia in Canadian Politics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 16, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times manages to work Trump into the headline. But, if Harper succeeds, and Trump wins, where will American liberals seek refuge from a Trump presidency?

Effectively, Mr. Harper hopes to win his fourth term on Oct. 19 in part by demonizing those few who wear the niqab — and much of Canada’s Muslim population by extension. In one particularly pungent mailing to voters, the Conservative Party suggested that the election of one of Mr. Harper’s opponents would turn the country into a dystopia of high taxes, high unemployment and citizenship ceremonies clogged with covered Muslim faces pledging allegiance to the queen.

The truth is decidedly more banal. Since 2011, all of two women out of 700,000 new citizens have refused to doff their niqab during the ceremony, according to a Radio-Canada report. And those who do wear the niqab must remove it before the ceremony for identification purposes. But nuance and perspective only impede the Conservative narrative.
    But the Conservative Party’s scapegoating of Canadian Muslims dates from well before this campaign. The government first banned the niqab from citizenship ceremonies in 2011, but its directive was successfully challenged by Zunera Ishaq, a former high-school teacher from Pakistan.

More recently, government officials said Syrian refugees would be prioritized, with first dibs given to the country’s religious (read: Christian) minority. Mr. Harper’s own office was found to have personally intervened in the processing of Syrian refugees. Coincidentally or not, Canada has admitted only about 10 percent of the 10,000 the government had promised it would accept.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/opinion/with-anti-muslim-campaign-canada-has-its-trump-moment.html

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I would like to think Canadians are over Harper and his tired act.

Harper faces tough re-election bid after 10 years in power that upended Canada's liberal image

The Liberals lead the Conservatives by almost 6 percentage points. According to the CTV/Globe and Mail/Nanos Nightly Tracking Poll, the Liberals are at 36.5 percent, followed by the Conservatives at 30.6 percent. The New Democrats, a leftist party that moved to the center in a bid to get elected for the first time, are at 23.5 percent. The margin of error for the survey of 1,200 respondents is 2.8 percentage points.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Harper is definitely in tough here, I can see a minority gov't Monday. I'm no NDPer but if Jack Layton were still alive and running that party they might have finished on top. Trudeau does have nice hair, though.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Harper is trying to gain support in racist Quebec.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This election is an embarrassment. No one worth voting for

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Canada sucks. Go Royals.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Upset? Was the Times not following this at all?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

So glad this election is over and pleased with the results. And YF - the Liberals have been leading in polls but I don't know that anyone expected the size of the Liberal victory. Many were expecting a minority government.

It's been interesting on my FB feed this morning. The pessimistic posts from some of my Western Canadian family wailing that our country has been doomed is in stark contrast to those who feel we have just been saved. Extremely polarized results.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know if anybody saw this kind of Liberal win. Total carnage for the Conservatives and NDP. To me, it is more an anti-Harper vote than a pro-Trudeau one but it's not quite the "end of the world as we know it" result that many Conservative supporters believe it is.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are they threatening to move to Texas?

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted