1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamists taking over Iraq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Well, pacifism only goes so far. See Chamberlain, Neville. Bigger scale, I realize. But this region we speak of is grounded in instability. Egypt's Arab Spring with non-interference hasn't worked out well, has it?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, that's the problem. How are we going to get them to knock it off? The answer is, we won't. And as far as helping the Iraqi government, hell, we created it. We've picked leaders and guided things along the way. That hasn't worked out so well.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So basically what we've established in this discussion is that nothing works in that region. Interference always seems to backfire, and non-interference doesn't work either.

In which case, I'd rather err on the side of non-interference and save a ton of American lives and ton of American money. Just think what we could've done with that trillion dollars we pissed away in Iraq if we'd instead spent it here on improving infrastructure, education, health care or whatever. Such an unfathomably colossal waste.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But .... But .... Freedom is on the march!

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

According to the article I read in the Times this morning, the Pentagon estimates that hardcore fighters in Iraq only number 3,000 to 5,000. Using air power and drones would go a long way to helping the Iraqi army (which, admittedly, seems to need all the help it can get.)

Otherwise, what happens? Iran steps in and crushes ISIS. They're going to get crushed no matter what, so we might as well be the ones doing the crushing.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I dunno Britwrit. I'm old enough to remember that air power was going to crush the Viet Cong and then North Vietnam, too.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wounded Warrior J.R. Salzman can be expecting a rectal probe from the IRS any day now.

http://bit.ly/1lv7KWo

"You promised to fix the world's problems, yet you somehow lost a war THAT WAS ALREADY WON. How is that even possible. @BarackObama?!?"

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When was the war in Iraq "won"?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was always "won" in the minds of the people who started it. I can understand why a vet would not like to believe we lost, so I might cut one some slack, but for the civilians who began, supported, and now want to restart the war, I have no sympathy, only contempt.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Since America's on the cusp of being the world's largest oil producer, WTF cares what these religious wackos do to each other? Let them fight it out for the crown of Allah's favorite and we'll sit back and reap rising oil profits and get on with developing cleaner, greener energy for the 21st Century.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pretty much where I am at. The landscape has changed. Let The Saudis take up the fight of protecting
    their brothers. That said, we still need to be sure Israel is taken care of.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.