1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam is the light

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smokey33, Oct 8, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... and somehow Serbs killing Muslims will be America's fault...even though we were there defending the Muslims in Serbia and Croatia.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Same old dodgy bullshit response, Hondo.

Just acknowledge that all religions can be used for hateful purposes. Don't qualify it, just say it.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Absolutely -- all religions can be used for hateful purposes.
    Now, you quit rationalizing and excusing the lunatic fringe of a certain religion right now that is raising all the hell.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not excusing squat. Rationalizing evil under the guise of religion is evil in itself.

Nor am I painting an entire religion with a broad brush like someone I might mention.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I understand what you mean Hondo and it is a good question. But you also have to understand that this is an extremely complex issue. These people aren't doing this stuff because of what happened in the past(at least no entirely). Its because of a whole bunch of things.
    First of all, when you're talking about this issue, you have to understand that when you look at these terrorist groups(Al Qaeda, Hamas), you see that they all come from places that are socially undeveloped and and are experiencing profound internal conflicts. And like all people who live in these socially unstable and geographically unstable socities, they express their aspirations and needs, naturally, through the language of religion becuase the language of religion holds the most currency to the masses. For example, when you look at what we would consider a peaceful religion, Buddhism. It is not that Buddhism is inciting tibetans or people in myanmar towards violence. Its the social struggles and the feelings of injustices that eventually are going to be experessed natrually through religion. The same you could say goes here in the US. Many Americans comfortably talk about social, political, or economic issues in christian language.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't give a rat's ass how complex the issues are. That doesn't mean people shouldn't stop killing each other. And quit playing that poverty card either. There has already been a survey of the top 400 or so Al-Qaida members who have been captured or killed (including the 9-11 hijackers) and 80 percent of them came from moderate to wealthy families and were college educated. Don't ask me to cite it because I can't remember where I read it ... but it was in a mainstream publication.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember when Bush used the term "crusade" before the war? Thankfully, his advisers told him to STFU with that kind of terminology, and he didn't use it again.

Short-sighted man with no sense of history.

Sorry, this thread reminded me of that.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... check the news right now. More than 900 Christian families have fled Mosul, Iraq, and 13 have been reported killed by Al-Qaida thugs because Christians were thinking about running for local office.
    Tell me how that's anyone's fault but the terrorists.

9. Johnny Dangerously

What he said. ^

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Only because you don't want it to have anything to do with it. Anything to obscure the issue -- which religious group is at this point in history doing most of the killing.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Holy fuck, I'm going to back quietly away and pretend this, like the past eight years, was just a bad dream. Talk about your dog with a bone ...

Never mind. I was never here.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I havent read this in a while... have we skewered the dumbass reporter for using "message of hate" enough yet?
    Dumbshit...

Draft saved Draft deleted