1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISIS starting to crumble in Iraq and Syria

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2016.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I mean, you gotta go to Europe if your ultimate prize is Rome.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm pretty critical of Islam, but I'm not even willing to go Nazi comparison.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I hate these stories...don't understand why anyone does them. Remember one president declaring "Mission Accomplished" and another calling ISIS the "jayvee team?"

Unfortunately, it's strategy. And, it doesn't mean Europe or North America is any safer.

wicked likes this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, let's see ... Even moderate Muslim nations don't grant full rights to women. The worst states brutalize them and being raped is not only your fault, but you're going to get stoned for it (always wonder where NOW is on this. Doesn't seem to bother them but they'll go nuts over a guy telling a sexist joke in the workplace).
    Gays probably have it even worse.
    Christians aren't welcome (or killed, such has happened in Pakistan today).
    And extremists vow to finish Hitler's job.
    Sounds worse than Nazism to me.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The reality on the ground is the reality on the ground. If IS is devolving in the Middle East, that is one important reason why they're now carrying out mass terrorist attacks in Europe. You can't not report it if it is indeed true, which as far as can be told it seems to be.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The problem is the seed has been sown in too many places and disaffected youth on Europe and quite possibly the U.S. They don't need orders from a command and control situation to carry out acts of terrorism. And as they've proven, it only takes four or five of those guys to wreck a whole lot of death and destruction.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The plan has been to assisting these countries to take care of their own housecleaning. Of course, being the Middle East, it's complicated. In this case, the Syrian regime is almost as bad as ISIS.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

But, I mean, isn't this just REALLY a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Syria is an all-skate that we don't need to get mixed up in overtly. Arm both sides and let them kill each other. (If you don't think we have special forces there doing that now under the table, you're kidding yourself.)

The refugee situation is unfortunate, but that's a humanitarian problem, not a military one, and one that Europe screwed the pooch on from jump.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's pretty much America's foreign-policy Utopia. Let everybody kill each other, and we'll take advantage during the cleanup of all the wreckage.

Gave us a monster leg up on the rest of the world for the better part of the 20th century. When the rest of the world isn't in ruins, we don't seem to fare quite as well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We're playing Risk with ourselves

Draft saved Draft deleted