1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISIS Coming To A City Near You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. EVERY war is prosecuted both on the battlefield and through public opinion.

Bush's pitch to begin both wars was 100 percent about convincing the public, and by extension Congress and the UN, that they were just causes and necessary to protect American lives.

Vietnam was probably one of the most poorly "marketed" and unsupported wars in history. How did that work out, with all our focus on waging war instead of PR?

2. MisterCreosote

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey neighbor let me give you some advice
    The Russians are about to pulverize us
    In our sleep tonight
    That is if the crazy Arabs
    Or the riots don't get us first
    And the fire will rain down from the sky
    The fire will rain down from the sky
    People will die--People will die
    People will die--People will die
    But go ahead sleep tight in your beds
    Remember what the wise man said

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I understand the marketing aspect and its importance in the run-up to war. But the actual prosecution of a war suffers greatly when marketing is the primary goal. Obviously, propaganda can be an effective tool, but to crossthread a bit, war in the information age has just become another political tactic without any real goals. That is where the Bush administration failed miserably, and that is why the "effort" failed.

I don't really have any faith that war can be waged effectively in this day and age, and that's a scary thought because at some point it will have to be. Do you have faith that it can be?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was going fine in Afghanistan, where it rightly should have been, until Cheney decided to go into Iraq.

6. Mr. Sunshine

You could never do anything like that today, because it would be considered mean and inconsiderate. How un-PC of us! We need to understand our enemies better. Vox just told me that violence is not the answer against evil.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Nothing has ever gone fine in Afghanistan.

8. MisterCreosote

Yes, I do, especially as we move away from conventional warfare in fighting an unconventional enemy.

And, while some put more emphasis on it than others, I don't think there's a war in history during which "marketing" was the primary goal.

9. Mr. Sunshine

War as politics. That's what America does now. It's unfortunate.

10. Songbird

It's funny you say that. One of my taxi drivers in D.C. this weekend grew up in Kabul -- before the days of the Russians -- and said it was one of the great places on the planet with world-class learning institutions and art and the whole beautiful scene.

Astonishing Pictures Of Afghanistan From Before The Wars - Business Insider

We talked about this and that. Kind of heartbreaking to hear him describe Afghanistan then, and now.

It will never, he said, be the same Afghanistan.

11. Songbird

That is, of course, if you referring to "ever gone fine" in terms of war.

12. MisterCreosote

It's what America has always done.

Draft saved Draft deleted