1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISIS Beheads British Hostage David Haines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 13, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Mirror's website, among others, has a description of the video that's been released.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Religion of Peace

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's nothing religious about those guys. Pure evil and they'll only understand one thing: pure force.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

How many of 'em do you think we'll have to kill to get the rest to give up the fight?

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Maybe you should read the Quran. There are tons of passages calling for war against nonbelievers, and even passages on beheading.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What I don't get is how anyone -- anyone -- could possibly actually want to join and/or follow the edicts of this group.

Do they really think/trust that these people are going to, somehow, make things better for them? How do they trust these people at all?

Given what's been going on, and that it's all been done openly and publicly, I find any successful recruitment by ISIS to be truly mind-boggling.

And to think that now there's been women -- even a couple American women -- joining ISIS. I mean, really, what are they thinking?

Frankly, how any American could even dare to join this group after living here, with the freedoms we all pretty much take for granted (but get to have, anyway), is just inexplicable and unforgivable.

Of course, they'll probably figure all that out -- once they start living under the strict Muslim law they say they want and that their new friends demand at all costs.

And I won't shed a tear if any of these new ISIS recruits go and get killed, either in war or for breaking some obscure, outdated rule, any more than I would if someone happened to behead the ISIS executioner.

Wow, talk about a pointless cause and a waste of life...

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Hollow promises of religion have been making people do stupid things for thousands of years.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Recruitment goes beyond religion, a lot of it comes down to ISIS has the convenient reality of not being Western. There is a lot of hate for the U.S. and UK in the middle east, so locals see them as a rising power and a return to their former ideologies that many grew up with and agree with and it's an easy sell. Westerners converting is mind boggling, however, even from a hippie anti-capitalist view point it's just so far out there. But they can have them.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

From a story I saw today, the American woman who are joining are doing so because they're struggling financially and the money is too good to pass up.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's now what President Obama and David Cameron say.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Right. Until these women are ordered to stuff bombs up their skirt and stroll into a marketplace to blow themselves and a few other people up.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/inside-the-online-world-of-the-women-of-isis#1wf48nd

Draft saved Draft deleted