1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isiah Thomas: The Knicks haven't made NYCers "proud" since 1973.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Apr 10, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Isiah did everything but get down on his hands and knees and kiss Bill Davidson's pinky ring at the Pistons' all-time-team ceremony at The Palace the other night, repeatedly referring to the Pistons as "we" during his pregame comments.

I don't know what job he thinks he's gonna get with the Pistons; VP in charge of toilet-paper inventory control, maybe? Dumars is too smart to allow him within a million miles of any aspect of the basketball operation.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

He'd fuck that up too.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“You haven’t been proud here since 1973,’’ Thomas said. “That’s a fact...You haven’t won here since 1973.’’

I agree with him. Two NBA finals since 1973, and some of the most godawful winning basketball the NBA has ever seen. Those two Finals teams were dreadful to watch.

The last time the Knicks were entertaining to anyone but New Yorkers was when Bernard King played for them.

If New Yorkers think the Partrick Ewing-era Knicks were some kind of glory days, those people are more pathetic than I thought.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

So you've been proud of the Angels once in your life?

I've never liked the Knicks, but at their peak Riley years, they played how the city fashioned itself. Tough, hardscrabble and dirty when they had to be (i.e. almost all the goddamn time). Their sum was better than the parts. One enforcer played hoops in Division II. Another (Mason) was rescued from the United States Basketball League. Their shooting guard bounced from community college to community college and bagged groceries when he wasn't playing in the CBA and WBL.

They were a team most fans--not the celebridorks who populated the pricey seats, but Joe SixPack in one of the boroughs--could identify with and be proud of.

This team, on the other hand, is infinitely more talented than the Riley-era guys with none of the heart or desire.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i agree with isiah here, those '90's teams were awfully hard to root for and were never a pretty team to watch. methinks they're best remembered by new yawkers for blowing their best opportunity when jordan was on vacay. :eek: :eek: :eek:

sorry, byh. i wholly disagree that noo yawkers were particularly proud of those teams. they won plenty of games and always sold out, 'cause winning basketball always will in n.y. but the team and its players were hardly beloved.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

WTF? Why would I ever be proud of a pro sports team? It's a bunch of guys wearing the same laundry, to quote another New Yorker.

I'm proud of a lot of different things in my life. The pro sports franchise I follow has never been one of them.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree with everything you said.

But my point remains: If you're a Knick fan, you could take some pride in the '90s teams, title or no title. Isiah is spitting on those fans by saying they've had nothing to be proud of since '73. Which of course is nothing new, he's been spitting on them for more than four years.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No more over rated player than Patrick Ewing and no bigger ignorant piece of demented shit than Isiah Thomas. It's sort of like Jeffery Dahmer calling Charles Manson an amateur psychopath.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They must have been a little proud in 99 when they made it to the Finals, without Ewing. Even if that was the worst NBA season in, well, a long, long time, it was quite a run.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have to partially agree here. Yes, the 1999 Knicks made the Finals. But they were the No. 8 team in the East entering the playoffs in a shortened season of just 50 games. They were not anything special at all and then they got hot in the playoffs before falling short.

There was nothing magical about the 1999 Knicks' Eastern Conference championship at all.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One of the great moments in NBA history came when the Bulls sent shithead Isiah, spoiled brat Laimbeer, and the rest of the dirtbags slinking off the court.

You didn't have to not shake hands to demonstrate your basic assholishness, slimeballs.

Draft saved Draft deleted