1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isiah lands his first big recruit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Isiah wasn't there, I would agree. A HOF player and former NBA coach (albeit a God-awful one) I could see getting the guy.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, as odd as it sounds, it appears that's what's happened.

And I can kinda see how: consider first that the kid's from Indy, a cold weather city and one of the very few places left that, thanks to his IU days, Isiah's name still retains a bit of magic. So this smooth talking hall of famer sporting two championship rings comes in and offers him Miami sunshine and Miami women and the chance to be showcased as the main go to guy from day one without any of that competing for minutes and the ball that would come at a bigger program.

It is surprising, but it does not shock me that a Top 20 prospect might take that bait.

3. Mizzougrad96

The location of the school doesn't hurt either.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Once again: If he's really top 20 there's no way in hell he goes to FIU. Either his stock has fallen dramatically, or the BCS schools will get down and dirty to get him on campus.

If he's still top 20 when he lands at FIU, I'll eat a hat.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You know we're talking about basketball, right? :D

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha sure. But I still refer to the big six schools as BCS, even in hoops.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you think about this, Stoney made a great point.

A stud hoops recruit who is convinced he's only going to be in school a year probably doesn't see the need to spend a year in Lawrence or Durham. He's probably not all the worried about winning championships. It's all about him.

If you were an 18-year-old hot shot who was only planning on spending a year in college anyway, 12 months of sunshine and bare tits in Miami would look like a pretty good choice compared to Bloomington or a shithole like East Lansing. Especially if you were going to play for an NBA Hall of Famer.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think the hatred for Zeke is blinding some people. He's one of the greatest players of our lifetime and an iconic player to people of a certain age (which may include this kid's dad/male authority figures). He also has a lot of charisma and my guess is that he probably is a great recruiter.

Sure, his time in NY was awful, but college is a way
    different game and Zeke was both a coach and a GM in the NBA.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

C'mon now. Women bare their tits everywhere.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't you talk logic here!!!!

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I especially liked how Franklin Central, a team they'd basically curbstomped in the regular season, came out and just boatraced LN in tournament. I've never seen a team get so outcoached, and so outhearted, in all my life.

With the exception of Mike Davis' last IU team.

12. Mizzougrad96

Isiah is a God in Indiana.

He's probably the best player to ever play at IU. He won a title there. I know this kid wasn't born when Isiah was winning titles with the Pistons, much less his IU career, but I'm guessing the name Isiah Thomas still has a ton of cache in that state.

This isn't the reach people are making it to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted