1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isiah lands his first big recruit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Ferguson Takes Different Route

By Evan Daniels
    Recruiting Analyst
    Posted Aug 7, 2009

Mark this one down as surprising. Dominique Ferguson, who is No. 16 overall, is taking his game to the Sun Belt Conference.

Isaiah Thomas is currently getting it done on the recruiting trail.

The first year coach at Florida International secured his second verbal commitment from the 2010 class on Friday. This time FIU picked up Top 20 prospect Dominique Ferguson, who is currently in Miami for an unofficial visit.

“I’ve talked to Isaiah a couple of times before and coming here and talking to him I like what he has set up for me and how he wants me to succeed,” Ferguson told Scout.com.

Clearly Florida International isn’t the same level school that has been recruiting Ferguson over the past few years. But that didn’t matter to the 6-foot-8, 205-pound power forward. Ferguson said Thomas’ background was the key.

“They are a small school, so I never really thought about it,” Ferguson said. “But you can’t think about just the school, you have to think about what is best for you and what can get you to the next level.”

“If he had a job at better school I’d probably be in the same position right now,” he continued. “Even though it’s a smaller school, I just feel like it’s a better situation for me. It’ll be easier for him to build a team around me.”

Ferguson, who was once a Kentucky commit, also had interest from Arizona, Florida, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Indiana, Connecticut and Duke.

Ferguson joins Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler standout Phil Taylor to make up their current 2010 recruiting class.

Can't wait for this type of news to be torn down.

Like I said before, he's going to walk into these black households, which are free of the toxins the sports world hinge on to when it comes to Zeke's reputation, and pull in some good recruits.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You think dude actually sticks to his committment and ends up going there?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ohhhhh a recruiting scoop! Those things always work out!!!

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If Isiah Thomas wasn't in charge, I'd say Ferguson would be taking a pay cut to go from Lawrence North to FIU.

My (high school) alma mater is absolutely embarrassing in their brazen recruitment. They recruit better than the college I cover does.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

And he'll coach 'em up better than anyone in America.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Once a Kentucky commit" and had seven other BCS schools pursuing him = he either sucked shit thru a straw after his sophomore year or he's so much trouble even the top of the line schools won't touch him.

So yeah. in other words, he's perfect for Isiah.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, I think your high school offers a better package. I believe your college reported some decommits in favor of your high school.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Only if he doesn't have any adults advising him who love him.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Not surprising. Isiah has always had a good eye for talent, and no doubt a lot of youngsters will look his way.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Over/under on FIU going on probation over this: two years

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Some doubt.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Chee, at least link to the story, so he gets the page hits from your glomming.

Draft saved Draft deleted