1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaiah to coach Knicks. Adios Larry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 22, 2006.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Well they did make the playoffs in one of his seasons, even if they did so with a losing record and got swept by the Nets in the first round. ::)

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Aside from the obvious, the interesting part here is that they are refusing to pay him the rest of his contract, claiming he was let go "for cause". Unless there's something here we don't know. I assume Stern will smack them down, & make them pay.

I hope he also imposes a fine big enough to force Dolan to sell.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think Lary Brown is an absolute jackass and one of the most overrated coaches in history, one who tanked on his team as much as his team tanked on him last season.
    But for fuckwad Dolan to try to withhold the $40 million saying he was fired "for cause" is the most asinine thing I've ever heard.
    Seriously, among Brown, Zeke and Dolan there is no good guy here, but Dolan takes being a scumbag to a new low.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhh no. David Stern hates Larry Brown with a white-hot hatred for his galactic-class tank job with the 2004 Olympic team, when he intentionally lost games to stick it to the selection committee of USA Basketball (aka David Stern). If anything, Stern will quietly pass the word among the owners that Larry Brown is never to work in the league again. (So look for him to pop up as a 'consultant' to Mark Cuban. Avery Johnson, watch your ass. :D :D )

The Knicks will be 5-8 games better on the court next season, because Isiah Thomas won't be intentionally throwing games to prove what a genius he is. He'll lose plenty on his own merits, but at least he won't be tanking.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How does throwing games prove you are a genius? That Knicks team is brutal. Bad mix of parts and too many key players with no heart. I can't see Isaiah even adding five wins to the tally, particularly with the memory of the coaching job he did in Indianapolis. My bet is that he is going to let Marbury be "Starbury" again--as Marbury has been saying--and the team is going to be even worse than it was, if that is possible.

I know they have made a mess of things and they are carrying all untradeable salaries. But the only way out I can see would be if they could get rid of Marbury (which is pretty much impossible, so the rest of what I am going to type is already unrealistic) and Jalen Rose (it's an expiring contract, right?) and build around Jamal Crawford (I know, not ideal, but at least he gives effort, even when he is playing of control) and Eddie Curry (Again, I know, but if someone can figure out a way to get him to play hard, he should be an unstoppable talent). They'd still be stuck with Steve Francis, but he's a bit less of a dickhead than Marbury, at least, and with a prayer maybe he would reign it all in. And Channing Frye, David Lee and Nate Robertson are nice supporting players. It wouldn't be a championship team, but if you could put in a system and get them to play as a team they wouldn't have to be god awful. Unfortunately that all would require just the right coach--obviously one not named Isaiah. Can't be totally old school because that coach will get tuned out. But can't be a wet noodle, either.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry, Ragu, but your entire hypothesis is unrealistic.

Jamal Crawford is Jalen Rose-lite. As someone who watched Eddy Curry play in Chicago for four years, he is gifted on the offensive end, but is completely lost on defense and on the boards.

Steve Francis may be less of a prick than Marbury, but he's close. And will never lead a winning team unless he's second or third banana. Frye and Lee are about the only keepers on that roster; Nate Robinson is a shooting guard trapped in the body of a 5-foot-nothing point guard, and he doesn't have the heart of Iverson to succeed on this level.

But at least the Knicks have some good lottery picks the next two years ... wait, no they don't.

Thanks, Isiah!

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then they'll get out the hypodermic needles and syringes and get down to business.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd hate to have to pay Larry Brown $40 million to take a hike. He's done it for free so often.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

With both the Olympic team and this year's Knicks, Larry Brown intentionally threw games in order to demonstrate how bad things were gonna be if he was forced to play with the roster he was given by team management, and how horrible the team would be if they would not or could not "Play The Right Way," Larry Brown's own personal vision of how the game must be played.

Typical junior-high schoolgirl temper tantrum. "I told you, if we didn't get the players I wanted, that we were going to suck!! And we suck!! See,we lost again!! And again!! I told you, I told you, I told you. We suck, we suck, we suck. Nah-nah-nah-na-nahh nahhhh!!!"

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not really arguing. The situation is unfixable.

Although I think Crawford doesn't belong in the same sentence as Jalen Rose. Rose is one dimensional and selfish. Crawford actually showed some effort on the defensive end in some games that the rest of the team didn't show up for last season. It was refreshing because he came over with a bad rep. I also think he is an incredible athlete. His main problem is that he starts to feel his oats and tries to do too much. Makes bad decisions. I agree with you about Eddy Curry. It just frustrates me, because if he could put it together and actually hustle to play on both ends of the court, he has the build and the skills to be one of the best players in the NBA. I agree with you about Robertson. I can't think of a team where he should get regular minutes. He can't play the point, which is a problem for a guy that short. And his outside shot is below average. But as a 6 minute a night spark plug, he isn't a bad 12th man. What I wrote also didn't take into account Quentin Richardson. He actually plays hard, he's just not a guy you can rely on to carry a team. He's the last piece you add to an already well-designed team that can get him wide open shots. On the Knicks, he's absolutely lost.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Re: Knicks fire Brown; Zeke named coach

Just to clarify, vid: Thomas didn't run a CBA team in the ground. That would not have been lofty enough for his efforts. He ran the whole league into the ground and halfway to the earth's core.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Spnited, among those three, there's about enough goodness to spread over the end of a needle. And maybe that's too much space.

Draft saved Draft deleted