1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your superior your friend?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Feb 29, 2012.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm with you. i started my own law firm a year and half ago and now i supervise about nine people. i like all of them. occasionally we do things outside of work. but we're not friends. i want to keep it that way. i have no illusions that these people will remain loyal and work-married to me forever. a few have left already in the short time we've had the law firm; i'm not the slightest bit offended or disappointed. i expect pretty much what he said, 2-3 years. no skin off my back when they leave other than that it means i have to work harder to train a replacement.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How'd that work out for you??

When I worked at VCU, one of the guys used his wife on a stat crew. Harmless. 25-buck-a-game work and she knew what she was doing. I caught all kinds of hell for that. He was supervising his wife. So when we wanted to use her again, I had to be at the game and be her "supervisor."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can only imagine.

"Your story sucks!"

"Yeah? Well, I don't anymore."

"On second thought, it isn't that bad."

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I was in newspapers, I always told my bosses that I was looking.
    I've told my boss now that I'm interested in other opportunities.

And by the way, I love my boss. He's really a great guy, but he's still my boss. We are friendly. I've had drinks with him. I've been to his house for dinner, and he came to our partywhen our house was finished. We're very friendly, but he's still my boss.
    When he is no longer my boss, I hope we are friends.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My current employer frowns upon it.

Draft saved Draft deleted