1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your presidential vote for or against someone?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 9, 2008.

?

The election comes down to Clinton/Obama on the left and McCain on the right. Is your choice made be

1. For a candidate

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Against

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. undecided

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. I don't care, I'm moving to Canuckistan anyway

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's simple.
    And yes, you can consider a primary vote.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

For . . . for the first time since I left school.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Very much for. We're living in a moment of history as yet unseen by most people my age. And I'm excited about it.

www.wearewitnesses.org

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Absolutely, 100% for.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Against.

There hasn't been a candidate the two major parties have put up since I was in my 20s that didn't disgust me in big ways. And it has much less to do with their ideas than their lack of ideas, which are disguised by tripe that people buy into. It inevitably leads to the same bullshit management of the country, no matter who is in power.

The economic cycles come and go, and maybe a "good" president doesn't do anything to rain on the parade when we are growing and a "bad" one makes things worse when we have recession, but the president is largely a product of when he gets elected and external factors that (s)he either takes credit for or gets the blame for.

Unless you get a total boob, like Bush, there is little difference between the parties. And that has less to do with the party than the person. You really don't know the boobs until it is too late... (Anyone who disagrees because they thought Bush was going to be a boob, keep in mind that lots of people thought Bill Clinton, who you probably adored, was going to be a boob. Bush ran as a guy who would "unite" the country, and it hooked a lot of people who are not idiots... And he didn't fulfill that promise).

At the end of the day, there will be little difference in the country in four years whether John McCain or Hillary Clinton gets elected.

All politics at that level is about is fundraising and back room deals. You have to be bought to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars to win those delegates and that money comes with quid pro quos that trump ideology. It's why the most successful candidates are hyenas. They don't believe in anything except what can get them into power, and they mask it with bullshit ideology that never gets fulfilled, to win over people. To get on the ticket of one of the two parties, you have to be corrupt to some degree (some of them more than others, but all of them to a healthy degree).

So it inevitably comes down to who I personally detest more and then I root for the lesser of two evils. The last election was brutal... I've never been more depressed in a voting booth. I held my nose and voted for the whacky third-party candidate whose ideas I don't even buy into.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For Obama. This marks the first time it's decided by the lesser or two evils.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

All the guys I was going to vote for (Thompson, Romney) dropped out, but I always vote *for* the candidate that most represents my views, not *against* someone.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Always is a long time.. you NEVER vote for someone because you don't want someone else to win?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'll vote for the Libertarian if neither of the major-party candidates share my views well enough (and in my state, Libertarians have automatic ballot access, so they're always there).

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm in my mid 30s and I've yet to to vote for a candidate because I thought he was the best person to lead America. It's always been who I dislike the least.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For state elections, I never vote for someone who tells me not to vote for someone else.

Hey assdick, tell me why I should vote for you, not why I shouldn't vote for your rival.

Draft saved Draft deleted