1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your paper running an "April's Fool" story today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Apr 1, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Welcome back Eric Byrnes!

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I hate ledes and the like, but the KC Star, a few years back now, did an April Fools story about Len Dawson coming back to compete for the Chiefs' quarterback job. (This was in the wake of Elvis Grbac leaving and before Trent Green came to town.) In fact, it might have been JoPo. I wish I could find a copy of it because it was done perfectly, and I cracked up reading it.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd never say never as far as doing it, but it's gotta be damn good without making readers *really* think something is up, if that makes any sense. That Dawson thing sounds pretty good.

And if your April Fools' planning starts in January, you're a tool.

4. Anybody remember Sidd Finch?

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Anybody here heard of Sports Illustrated?

Sorry newbie. Beers. Pronto.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I was amused by an ESPN The Magazine (yeah, yeah...I think the subscription was free or some such) story about Helio Castroneves being involved in racing cats up poles. It went on for a little while, and at the end, it pointed out that rearranging the letters in his name produces "Oh lie, cats never so." Not that hard to see, I guess, but still cool that someone noticed.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

If so, you must be at a college paper still.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

When my paper was a biweekly, we did an April Fool's section. Clearly identified it as such. One story talked about a "robbery" at a Taco Bell in Podunk with an "artist's rendition of the suspect," which was a mugshot of my boss. Podunk police read the paper, had a good chuckle, then guffawed about people calling in saying they saw someone who looked like the "sketch."

Another story had our local three-sport star, who was a standout in football and baseball, opting to play basketball at Duke instead. He seemed to have a sense of humor about it.

It was good for a laugh, and people who actually looked at the "April Fool's Section" thought it was really funny.

We haven't done it since, a classic (and rare) case of quitting while ahead.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've played football with Hank Scorpio... does it count as an April Fool's joke if it's in November?

Draft saved Draft deleted