1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your daughter's mouth worth $80g?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I have no sympathy for them. At all.

But, it seems to me that if they were wrong enough to have to pay $80,000 than the academy really doesn't deserve to have it back.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Settlements typically don't assign wrong or right to the matter. The two parties settled before a court could find in favor of anyone.

Litigating things can be crazy expensive. Sometimes parties that are sued make the choice to pay a relatively low settlement amount, rather than incurring a higher cost in lawyers fees to litigate it. Even if they think they did nothing wrong. It's an economic decision.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

What's odd here, though, is that they're likely to end up spending close to the $80k, if not more, in lawyers fees defending the decision not to give over the check. I'd ballpark the Court of Appeal cost at $40k alone, and there was the preliminary hearing at the trial court plus a potential trip to the Florida Supreme Court, which should push the cost north of $100k.

Also, the confidentiality agreement itself seems odd. It only allowed the principal to disclose it to his wife, not his daughter. And the daughter didn't disclose the terms of the agreement, only its existence. It's unusual for the agreement to bar disclosure of a settlement since the existence of a settlement is often put on record at the court.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was over 50 when she was born. Am I doing that correctly?

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If she's a freshman or sophomore at Boston College, yes.

And what was with that Halloween(?) costume of her with a cardboard box on her head that had "Sylvia Plath's oven" written on it? WTF? Is she Sylvia Plath? I'm so confused.

6. The Big Ragu

Not sure what the costume was, but Sylvia Plath committed suicide by sealing off her kitchen and sticking her head in the oven -- she died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The costume sounds pretty stupid.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

At first, I thought this thread was about getting your kid braces.

8. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

This is why some people were never intended to have big voices. And another reason why Facebook is the dah-bull.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I know that. I'm trying to figure out if she was the oven or if she was jokingly being Sylvia Plath with her head in the oven. Either way, it's moronic.

10. The Big Ragu

Ah. Sorry. I didn't understand. I thought from your description, it was that the cardboard box over her head was supposed to be the oven.

Draft saved Draft deleted