1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Willie Randolph in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 21, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Chris_Short :)
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jim_Bunning :D
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Gene_Mauch ;D

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well played. Guess I should have specified one calling for Randolph to do it.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Sure buddy any time.

Here you go.
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTQmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxOTcwOTcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

In fact, you could argue that Monday's game in Washington was the most critical of all. The Mets desperately needed to make a statement, not just to the Phillies, but to themselves. Incredibly, they sent Brian Lawrence to the mound, where he cloned his minor league pitching profile: four innings, four runs, see you later. GM Omar Minaya said it was Randolph's decision to start Lawrence; the manager told reporters that Lawrence was "on turn" as justification for giving him the ball.

On turn? That's the crucible with 13 games to go? Somebody should've walked into Randolph's office and demanded the start, even if it meant going on two or three days' rest. Now the crisis deepens, as Orlando Hernandez and Moises Alou are both injured, possibly out of action for the final two weeks. These are devastating setbacks, but the Mets will have no right to talk about injuries, not with the lead they enjoyed two weeks ago. Not with their surplus of talent.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Once again, reading comprehension eludes you. Klapisch isn't crucifying Randolph; he's saying a pitcher should have demanded the ball. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Doc is correct: He's chiding the pitchers for not demanding the ball.

But wow, Klapisch is making a terrible argument. "Somebody should have walked into Randolph's office and demanded the start"? Who exactly does he think would have been a better option? A recovering Pedro Martinez? Glavine, on one day of rest? John Maine, on two days' rest (after just getting shelled)? An injured El Duque? WTF kind of a suggestion is that?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A bad manager can ruin a good team more than a good manager can help a bad team. And Willie has done such a piss ass job that the Mets are still in fucking first place. Fuck New York fans and all their fucking whining about not being in first place by enough games. It's not a birthright to be there, and just because you're in NYC it doesn't mean you should automatically be there either. You guys are getting as bad as the douchebag Cubs fans that have ruined the baseball thread with their homerism.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Headbutt's right. There shouldn't be any criticism of a manager who is in the process of blowing a seven game lead in the division. No criticism, no discussion, nothing. Thanks, F_H!

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

First place with one week left. Yeah, that guy is terrible. Bob Boone laughs at him. So does Phil Regan, Grady Little, the Mariner Moose, Lou Holtz's fight song, and the minor league manager who lobbed the resin bag like a hand grenade.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He had a seven game lead at the start of the month. The lead is down to 1 1/2, so, yes, he's deserving of some criticism.

10. indiansnetwork

My question is how much responsibility do the players have for playing like crap. Secondly, winning and losing streaks happen through out the year some people just put way to much emphasis on the last month of the season, especially for teams that are going to the playoffs. The Chicago White Sox nearly choked away their season in 2005 with a horrendous September and went on to win the World Series. After the World Series Guillen was roundly praised for being so good, now he is considered awful. I am sure he wasn't great then but at the same time, he is not awful now. It is really about the players and the players that the GM acquires that really determine if a team is good enough to go to the playoffs or not. This bashing of Randolph just seems childish and immature given his team is nearly assured of making the playoffs and in first place.

11. indiansnetwork

I agree he was criticized for being explosive but also praised for lighting a fire under his players.
    You don't like that example fine how about this one.

Francona circa 2004
    He was considered a genius for not blowing out his bullpen and pitching staff on game 3 in the ACLS but now he is being ripped for his team blowing a huge lead. Seems to me he wasn't a genius then and he isn't a moron now. Situations and players dictate how teams perform and at best a manager has a 4-6 game impact on the overall record of a team. Many studies have been done to show that managerial decisions don't have a major impact on overall records.

12. I'll probably get harpooned for this, but I give Indians Network a lot of credit on here for trying. He's doing his research and making some adequate arguments for someone who's not a reporter. He's come a ways since his running tally of threads he's locked. I'd prefer he not allign himself with Rokski but I think a lot of that is because no one else will give him a chance.

Just sayin' ...

Draft saved Draft deleted