1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Willie Randolph in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Neither do I, but us tortured losers are regretting this one.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can you say "Jeff Bagwell"

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Go ahead, rub it in some more. I liked what I saw out of Gabbard, and even if he's only a No. 4 or 5 starter, you always need quality guys at the back end of the rotation. And Murphy wasn't the biggest prospect.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Brian Cashman knew Joba Chamberlain would only give up two runs in 18 innings? Cashman knew that the kid would strike out 24 batters in 18 1/3 innings?

Then he should be fired. Why wasn't the kid up with the Yankees in the early season when the bullpen was garbage?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Could be worse. The Mets could have named Sam Perlozzo their manager. Or Phil Regan.

If the Mets come back and win the World Series this year, people who are bashing Randolph now will be praising his ability to keep an even keel while everything else seemingly is falling apart.

6. And if they don't?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They won one division title last year, remember? If they choked two years in a row, you'd have reason to bitch about Randolph.

8. Just asking. I'm not a Willie basher. I don't watch them enough.

But I have a hard time believing "people who are bashing Randolph now will be praising his ability to keep an even keel while everything else seemingly is falling apart."

spnited, you agree?

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I think the so called rumors of pissing a few people in the front office are without merit. Seems to me certain writers have an ax to grind with him and he is being raked over the coals for no reason. He has done a fine job with an aging club without much bullpen depth. I have read some articles that suggested that he should bring one of his starters back on two or three days rest to stop a losing streak. That is plain ridiculous for several reasons. One of the main reasons is that if you bring a starter back on short rest you increase the possibility that the pitcher would become injured further compounding the teams problems. Who would be blamed if the starter was hurt? Of course Willie would. Most likely that starter would only go 5 innings at best further stressing your bullpen that is already burnt out and struggling. I think mostly because he is arrogant he is being railroaded.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He is being "railroaded" because he has mismanaged the bullpen and has run Jose Reyes into the ground. Nothing more. Nothing less.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And please, idiotsnetwork, post a link for an article, any article, that called for a starter to come back on two days' rest. Please.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never heard that suggested. That's completely foolish. You know how uncommon it is for a starter to come back on three days' rest in the regular season (unless his name is Jake Peavy)? Tell me the last time a starter came back on two days' rest -- someone who didn't pitch in the early 1900s.

Draft saved Draft deleted