1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is what we do demeaning?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 27, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you're making it awfully easy

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

a) spnited attacks everyone. It's endearing.
    2) Covering football in general is frustrating. Doesn't mean the job itself is demeaning.
    III) Nobody's "ganging up" on you. You chose a poor thread title, insulting a majority of those of us on this site who are in the same profession, and you got called on it. Get over it ... and fetch me a Fat Tire while you're at it. ;D

3. OK, what if it had been titled, "Can what we do feel demeaning?"

I'm really shocked at the reaction here. I thought it was a legitimate vent that a lot of people could empathize with. I guess everyone else loves every minute of this, though. Oh, well. Learn something new every day.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Did you ever consider maybe you're just not very good at this? You must have done something right along the way to be covering a D-I, but maybe you're just not cut out for it.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I really don't find it demeaning. I get annoyed with my job at times. I get sick of being bitched about by the general public. And I tire of the hours during the school year.
    But I personally don't find it demeaning.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i think you should just re-register with a new name and start all over again. ;D

7. I'm a good writer and reporter. But I don't know if I am a great beat writer, no. I mean, I do a good job. But it's an effort to care day after day about the minutiae of people who treat you like shit.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not sure that our age or relative standing in the field has any relevance. Nor should it. But if it's any consolation, both spnited and I were out of junior high well before Nixon resigned.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll stick my neck out and say that recently I almost started a similar thread. My wording would have been different, as well as my perspective (being a veteran of more than 20 years), but some of the questioning would have been somewhat the same.

Not that anyone cares what I think, but I'd be in favor of this thread disappearing, and letting our young visitor re-think what exactly he wants to ask, and then come and ask it. Better thread, no visible evidence of defensiveness and overreaction, etc. Consider it part of the editing process we old-timers can sometimes help with when a writer subjects the world to his hastily written first attempt.

:)

And to the author of the thread I say, most of the people here are more than willing to help if asked respectfully and if their answers aren't volleyed back at them in defensive anger.

:)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can empathize with the frustration. Everyone can. No, I don't love every minute of this. In fact, I have -- on more than one occasion -- been known to say, "I hate the business of this business." There are a lot of things that are frustrating.

But I can't empathize with the attitude. "Demeaning"? Is that really the word you want to hold onto?

Finding the job frustrating and finding the job demeaning are two totally different equations.

11. I think it's the attitude of the coaches, SIDs and players that they're doing you this huge favor so you can do your job that's so off-putting to me ... I don't know, "demeaning" seems like the right word choice to me. Like you have to grovel and beg for a minute of these guys' time in order to serve readers that hate you anyway.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, wannabe, if your last post reflects how you truly feel -- that you have to grovel and beg to talk to the people you cover and the readers hate you anyway -- you are not made for this business.

That's about as polite as I can say.

Draft saved Draft deleted