1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is what we do demeaning?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 27, 2007.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I haven't spent a whole lot of time on this board, but my experience is that everything creates a shitstorm. No matter what you say, it will end up in insults. I think the only insult-free thread I ever saw was the one in which a guy saved someone's life.

2. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

I've felt that way at times, especially after being at a level I think was a bit low from what I aspired to have reached at this point.

But then I get a really dumbass-type of reaction to what we do. Had to do with writing about the anniversary of a day in high school fastpitch softball where both teams from the same city won state titles that day - it hasn't happened in any other sport for this community like it did that day. I talked to a few of the players and then someone sends me a link after the story runs....from a star who wouldn't return calls. "I got a voice mail from XXXX of the XXXX paper the other day and they SAID they wanted to talk about my fastpitch softball state championship. Jesus. that was 10 years ago and like, my life has MOVED ON. Haven't they got anything better to do than that? Plus, I hear a lot of people say that the XXX paper's reporters like to put words in people's mouths. I just chose not to get involved."

And you know, she's right. Fastpitch softball has the significance of a piece of dog shit. And therefore, so did her measly ass accomplishments.

The moral of the story: There's a whole lot more demeaning things you can do with your life, like play high school fastpitch softball!

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

shut the hell up. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted