1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is USA Today encouraging the shaming of Rebels in a small Virginia town?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Aug 21, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

At Hurley High, Confederate battle flag is everywhere and means everything

So USA Today finds a small Virginia town where the high school mascot is the Rebels. Not only that, but rebel flags are seen everywhere throughout the school. Why, even the lone black student at the school has a tattoo of the Confederate flag!
    To me, it came across as the writer trying to encourage readers to see these backwood rednecks as racists. Some examples from the story:
    Thoughts?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In journalism terms, that's called "accuracy."

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like the kind of statement made by an individual who has lived a sheltered life.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Bailey and Hurley should have grabbed the reporter, and made him disappear. End of story.

I swear, the South isn't what it used to be. The wussification of American heritage continues.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

On the interstate on the way to work Friday, I passed a beater pickup with a topper and a sign in the back window that said: "You will NOT hold down MY SOUTHERN HERITAGE!" Couple of Confederate flags flapping on the front fenders at 70 mph, and two bearded, out-of-state old farts avoiding eye contact with anyone as they barreled down the highway.

They looked like a pair of stubborn old rednecks. Why advertise for trouble like that on a road trip?

Draft saved Draft deleted