1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is U.S.-England "The Most Anticipated Soccer Match in U.S. History!!!"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bar I hit today had a good portion of it section section closed off an hour before kickoff. "We weren't expecting a big crowd" my waitress said. 15 minutes later, it was opened and by kickoff, it was SRO. Wild.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The real test will be the next game, which will be a weekday morning,

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

With it being a 9 AM (CT) start against Slovenia, I'm guessing there will only be a fraction of the fan attention here in the U.S. You'll still see a lot of fans hitting the bars to watch, and being on Friday will help, but it will be nothing close to what they had today. The fact that today's game was against England at 1:30 on Saturday played a big part in the attraction.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I would venture the Colombia "own-goal" game in 1994 (and the Brazil Round of 16 game in the Rose Bowl on the 4th of July) were more highly-anticipated than this one, as were the Mexico/Germany games in 2002.

The Germany QF was, by far, the biggest match in U.S. soccer history.

Today's game? Big, but mostly ESPN overhype to justify their overspending on the WC rights (and try to boost their Euroleague soccer broadcast ratings).

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know if the game was the biggest ever, but a win would have been a Bolt-style shot to the arm soccer needs in the United States.
    A tie is better than a loss, but for non-soccer fans, who don't understand draws, it is a little hard to explain.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Historical past, England considered one of the top teams in the world, the amount of EPL games shown here and knowing this was the opener for six months are what made this the most anticipated match. Probably less than a week before the '02 QF and R16 '94 - not enough time to build up the hype machine - especially in '94.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

True that.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Except for the fact Game 6 was the most watched Stanley Cup game in the US since '74.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Biggest in terms of where it was in the biggest tournament, and the number of fans who jumped on the bandwagon . . errr . . ."got interested"?

Perhaps.

Biggest in terms of importance to U.S. soccer's development?

Paul Caligiuri has something to say about that.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, yeah, when you consider the investment they made, it's perfectly logical. You can't spend millions on something and then not help people know when it's on. The bigger ratings they get, the better off they will be.

And, yeah, they promo the NBA Finals, Wimbledon, baseball and everything else they show, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's one thing to let your viewers know when it's on. It's another thing to beat them over the head with it until it strains your credibility (look who just dropped by the booth!) and causes a backlash.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Claddagh in the Brewery District? That's where I got my crash course in how to be a good U.S. supporter before the Mexino match.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted