1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is U.S.-England "The Most Anticipated Soccer Match in U.S. History!!!"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that. Just giving you shit.

Sweet Caroline's is pretty good in Wincy. But there's a place on 55 in Star Tannery called The Corners that's right in your wheelhouse. Used to be called Four Corners back in the day. Street view it on google maps. It's a lovely establishment. :)

And don't forget, you're not all that far from the WV line. Try Piggy's or Gables. :)

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, during our travels, I made it a point to mention the "bar" on the corner. That place looks like the typical punch palace, although it had some stickers on the door last time we went by that made it appear shut down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Nah, they're letting Bank of America write American history.

"Here's what happened in 1776...now did you know that George Washington BANKED AT BANK OF AMERICA!"

4. JackReacher

That would be unfortunate. When I was younger, we used to drive over to Wardensville after midnight because they didn't stop selling until 2 or 3 a.m. Midnight in Va. Almost always included a trip to The Corners. Usually against my better judgment. Over/under on the total fights during a given Saturday night hovered around 7.5. Jumps up to 10.5 if it's still open and you go. :)

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Jumps to a 20.5 when I show up with my guns.

6. JackReacher

I hope you like PBR in the can. That's all they got.

Actually, I love PBR in a can. I might join.

:)

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Except for maybe the 1994 opener vs. Switzerland, and any game vs. Mexico, I can't remember being more excited for a USA game than the one today.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

2002 QF vs. Germany.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only if you're Vince Doria trying to overhype programming -- again.
    Derwood's right. This one is a pool game. Find me once elimination round play begins.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, the hype certainly did something, at least out here. Went to the biggest sports bar in downtown -- and it was packed an hour before kickoff. During the game, it was standing-room only and you could barely move -- or get a beer. It was more crowded for any Broncos game -- and louder when the U.S. scored than when the Broncos beat the Bengals on the Immaculate Deflection. I suspect you'll see a huge TV rating tomorrow.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Torsten Frings .... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

12. JackReacher

I'll be interested to see that number. Some media ratings people -- whoever they are -- guessed between 8-10 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted