1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is U.S.-England "The Most Anticipated Soccer Match in U.S. History!!!"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes, yes, we have a running thread, yadda yadda. ESPN's hype over this one, coupled with the fact that England is where many American soccer fans choose to latch onto a team, has me asking the question. And I think that considering the fact that this is indeed a match that ESPN has "shoved down our throats!" it should be posed to everyone, not just those who check the World Cup thread or the hater thread. Yes, there might actually be someone who is indifferent either way.

Anyway, ESPN is pushing the idea that this is "The Most Anticipated Soccer match in U.S. history!" yesterday , Around the Horn attempted to put forth the notion that this is the Biggest Match in our history as a soccer-playing nation.

Thoughts?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

We have a running thread for this kind of shit. :)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

ESPN over-hyping sommething? I'm shocked!
    They have been over-hyping the entire World Cup for months now... add some major league flag-waving jingoism today and you've got a perfect strom.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Typical ESPN over-the-topness. Of course, that won't stop me from heading out shortly to watch the game. But I have to wait for my red shorts and blue sleeveless shirt to dry. The sleeveless shirt is key because it allows me to show off my eagles, American flag, American shield and red, white and blue stars. Gotta support the team! [/putty]

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They can't ram it down your throat if your TV is tuned to History Channel or something else.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So there are bars within a 30-minute drive where you are now? Better enjoy it while you can. :) :) :)

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You mean, just like the U.S.-Canada prelim game was the most-anticipated hockey game EVAH?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm pretty sure the History Channel is running a replay of the 1950 Cup match between the U.S. and England, then a Hitler marathon.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's not close to the Biggest In U.S. History.

And Switzerland or Colombia in 1994 might have been just as anticipated by hardcore soccer fans, as far as what they would mean for the sport in this country.

But this is what ESPN does when it shells out the money for a major event.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

174 commercials for it during the NBA Finals. Twice that many mentions of it during any random thing shown on ESPN.

Should I stop watching the NBA Finals just because I don't want to hear the commercials for the World Cup? Should I stop watching SportsCenter or anything else on ESPN just because I don't want to hear the commercials for the World Cup?

I don't think so.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Downtown WC is less than half an hour away, and the lone sports bar in Strasburg is a 20-minute drive.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I remember England/Portugal in the round of 16 back in 2006 was highly anticipated by Brits.
    I don't need a commercialized John Legend/Black Eyed Peas/etc. concert to hype me, or any ESPN over-the-topness.
    This stuff is fun to watch by itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted