1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trevor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 11, 2011.

?

Is revor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

1. Yes - absolutely will get in

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Yes - but won't get necessary support

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you saying you don't see anybody playing now who is capable of getting there or that the quota for relievers should be filled for a while once Rivera and Hoffman get in. Because if it is the latter, I absolutely hate that line of thinking.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

There can't be too many women selling real estate in the Buffalo market in the past 30 years making more than the poverty line.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If Hoffman gets in...I think you gotta seriously look at Dan Quisenberry.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There should never be a quota. But I think if you take all of the relievers in the last 25 years, Rivera would be the best and Hoffman the second best and in my opinion are the only ones who are worthy of making the HOF.

5. Now at 72.7% on our poll. He doesn't get in.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Besides Rivera, is there any active reliever who will wrap up his career, get on the ballot and get in before Hoffman?

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There's a good chance Hoffman could be on the ballot for three or four years (if he doesn't get on the first time) before Rivera gets on it.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think Wagner has a strong case to be a Hall of Famer.

9. outofplace

Wagner's problem is his playoff numbers, specifically the 10.04 ERA. I don't think a closer can get into the Hall of Fame with such a major drawback.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wagner may have a better case than Reardon and Smith, but if Hoffman has to wait a couple years, there's no way Wagner is getting in. If Hoffman sails in on the first ballot, then I might think Wagner has an outside chance.

11. outofplace

That is an interesting way to guage it. I do think Hoffman belongs in first, though I wonder if the way they ended their careers will make a difference. Hoffman pitched effectively for a while after losing his fastball, then really struggled two of his final three seasons. Wagner was dominant to the end, in the regular season at least.

It shouldn't make a difference, but I wonder if it might in the minds of some voters.

Draft saved Draft deleted