1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trevor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 11, 2011.

?

Is revor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

1. Yes - absolutely will get in

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Yes - but won't get necessary support

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't think Rivera will have to wait even one year.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me scrape some of my brain off the wall (head exploded again) here.

Earned runs x 9/innings pitched.

As complicated as it needs to be right there.

This is not a knock on you at all. You are far from the only guy who has tried to introduce the slide rule into baseball.

It's a simple game. Let's keep it that way. And the new-stat junkies scream at dumbass old me and tell me, "You'll never fully understand baseball with that attitude."

And I said that's A-OK with me.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Earned runs times 9 divided by innings pitched? That's like two calculations too many. Why not just use total runs allowed? Then no math is involved at all.

The line you draw between acceptable complications and unacceptable ones seems very likely decided by what you are used to. Which is your call. But there's nothing wrong with the

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wellllll **** a guy allows 10 runs. In one inning or 10? Big difference.

What's acceptable to me are traditional stats: batting average and ERA chief among them.

Well, let me rephrase. It's all acceptable. People can enjoy baseball however they want to enjoy it. I prefer to keep it simple and not invent stupid as shit stats to make myself sound more knowledgable.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nothing can suck the enjoyment out of baseball quicker than a true seamhead.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Even just a decent pitcher can accumulate a lot of saves on a winning team. What his peers say of him, and his awesome postseason production, makes Rivera one of those who defined his era, and he'd be the only closer I'd put in for the foreseeable future.

7. Mizzougrad96

Hoffman was a lot better than "a decent pitcher"

He was dominant. Period.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jeff Montgomery and Todd Jones have over 300 career saves.

9. Mizzougrad96

So if your point is that they're half the pitcher Hoffman was, I agree... :D

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I just think it's easy to rack up saves if you're even halfway decent.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think Jones and Montgomery were better than halfway decent. Both are all-star closers.

I don't think Reardon, or Smith, or Franco were significantly better than someone like Jones or Montgomery. All good pitchers, none deserve to go to the HOF.

I do think Rivera and Hoffman are at a different level than any of the other closers of the last 25+ years.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

NERDS!
    NERDS!
    NERDS!

Draft saved Draft deleted