1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trevor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 11, 2011.

?

Is revor Hoffman a Hall of Fame Player?

1. Yes - absolutely will get in

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Yes - but won't get necessary support

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Didn't think it was that complicated.

Basically, a 3.00 ERA in the dead ball era isn't as valuable as a 3.00 ERA in the middle of the steroid era. This is just a quick and simple comparison of ERA to league average ERA.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I'm torn on this. Yes, Trevor Hoffman's save totals and other overall numbers are Hall of Fame-caliber. But his track record in big games was simply horrible. Even closers like Jonathan Papelbon or Robb Nenn who had a fraction of Hoffman's shelf life were more trustworthy in big games.

What makes Mariano Rivera so special is not just his overall stats and longevity, but the fact that he was even more dominant in the playoffs than in the regular season. Hoffman matches Rivera's longevity but can't begin to compare to Rivera's big game track record.

I suppose you put Hoffman in eventually, but maybe on his 4th or 5th attempt.

3. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

He did blow a lot of big saves; heck, he even blew an All-Star Game one year. That said, he deserves to be in.

And in the for-what-it's-worth category, he's a prince of a guy. I approached him before a Padres road game one time -- after he did his running, well before BP, in the outfield on a 90-degree day -- and he couldn't have been a more willing, expansive interview subject. And he didn't know me at all, either, something that tends to be a big issue with major league players.

Again, that means nothing in terms of the discussion here. But it meant a lot to me on that particular day.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Nobody was or has been in any hurry to get him in.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

How the hell many big games did the Padres have to blow? I remember the one in Milwaukee to Tony Gwynn, Jr., but usually they were out of the hunt way earlier than that, except for when he did help carry them to the pennant in '98.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

ERA+ is a really good stat. It gives historical context to, say, Bob Gibson's 1968 ERA of 1.12 in the Year of the Pitcher (Gibson's ERA+ was 258) vs. Pedro Martinez's 2000 ERA of 1.74 in the Steroid Era (Martinez's ERA+ was 291 ... greatest of all-time in the modern era).

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Joe Pos tweets: "Trevor Hoffman press conference should start without him, Hells Bellls plays, he enters for last 3 questions, calls it a career."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

No. Absolutely not.

But I'll back up MoCheeks on the great guy comment. Couldn't have been nicer to me when I was a complete zero. Wait, was?

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's no Curtis Martin.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A friend of mine was a Padres coach. He said Hoffman was just about the best guy he's ever met. One game he got lit up, blew a save, blew the game. After answering every question, he iced, then spent a half hour pitching wiffle ball to teammates' kids in the wives room.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not to sound like spnited here, but who the hell needs ERA+ to know how historically great Gibson and Martinez were? Particularly with Martinez. We all saw it with our own eyes. He took on the biggest and most grotesquely swollen hitters in the history of the game and ate them up.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

You fucking got that right, asshole!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted