1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Tom Cruise back?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So true - it's hard to think of a movie he's been in when you're not thinking that's Tom Cruise on the screen instead of a character. Harrison Ford, Brad Pitt, and Burt Reynolds, Redford...

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"25 years" is the key phrase, there . . .

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thank you, Ben.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I understood that. My point was that these actors had great performances before they began coasting. I don't think Cruise was ever in their league.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

True.

But in the past quarter-century: Ron Kovic, Daniel Kaffee, Jerry Maguire and Frank Mackey....

Pretty damned good.

You guys are letting the hate seep in.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jerry Maguire doesn't age well. Cruise's little vanity tricks are more glaring than they were at first release.

Hate's a destructive influence on good judgment.

The guy simply isn't the level of actor he might want to be. And that's not our problem.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If we were to graph that last statement, it would look something like this:

[​IMG]

So everyone who thought the guy was an outstanding actor in earlier years ... they were just all missing something.

OK, Ben.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not being at all snarky when I ask the following question:

With the POSSIBLE exception of BOTFOJ . . . when was he EVER a greater critical success, than a box-office dynamo?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The answer to that question is not going to be indicative of the man's talent, merely because he IS a box-office dynamo. Is that a reason to discount his ability?

There aren't a hell of a lot of actors/actresses out there who kill at the box office and are roundly applauded by critics, many of whom have odd tastes, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted