1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Tom Cruise back?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mr. Risky Business is probably one of a handful of Americans who can say 2008 was a great year for them.

The Tropic Thunder cameo.... the Lauer roast... the Today return Monday ("I think I sounded arrogant")... and now this from last night.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/16/tom-cruises-letterman-top_n_151615.html

He doesn't look creepy anymore.

We do love tearing them down and seeing how they react, don't we?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's had a good year, but he needs another hit film before he can be considered back.

He was tremendous in Tropic Thunder and he's done a lot better in interviews than he has in the past.

Is he back? No. Are people a little less creeped out by him now as opposed to last year? Perhaps.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

To that end.... I won't see Valkyrie in the theater, even at gunpoint.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

When I hear his voice, I still get creeped out. I thought he was great in Tropic Thunder, but I really don't think I'll ever be able to look at him the way I did before all the craziness of the last couple of years.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I still get creeped out by him. He's just trying to do damage control. He's still the same creepy person on the inside that he was last year. You know, the "authority" on things and all.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He seemed quite comfortable in his own skin last night on Letterman. Although I doubt he'd ever sit down and have a beer with any of us.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That wasn't bad.

Top Gun remains my favorite movie of all time. Leave me alone!

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What exactly has been damaged here? Did people stop going to his movies in droves? I got the impression that he was still pretty bankable but am willing to be proved wrong by numbers.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I think he's a great actor, but a creepy person. His creepiness doesn't stop me from seeing his movies. His weird "religious" transformation thing is his own personal deal, and that doesn't affect how he can or cannot perform on the job.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing, but off the top of my head, Jerry Maguire or Mission Impossible 2 is probably his last big hit.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Name the last hit he had in which he was the star. It's been a while.

12. Mizzougrad96

I loved Collateral and Minority Report, but neither were big hits.

Draft saved Draft deleted