1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is time travel possible?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, Jun 3, 2013.

?

Is time travel possible?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. Maybe

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd bet on mass extinction over learning how to time travel in the next 2,600 years.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Certainly a possibility.
    But remember that homo sapiens as a species has been around for 200,000 years and what we consider modern man has been around for 50,000 years, so 2,600 doesn't seem as long in that context. We haven't become extinct yet.
    Malthus predicted human extinction almost 300 years ago.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

In practice, though, until relatively recently it was common for women to begin having babies at a much earlier age. In fact, until the 20th century, a woman who hadn't had multiple pregnancies by age 20 was rare. So I would argue that the average span for a generation over the centuries would probably be 20 years or even less.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Time travel will be incredible for our Wisconsin friends.

If they time everything right, they can screw some live deer. :)

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Does not count in modern NFL records.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' ... into he future.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good point.
    So, 100 generations in the past could be more recent than 587 BCE, even more recent than more orginal estimate of 187 BCE.
    However, time between generation is getting longer, so projecting 100 generations into the future would probably be even further out that 4,613 CE.
    Either way, I think my point is still valid, and it was made in direct response to the post that theoretical science can't be turned into practical science in the next 100 generations.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Time travel was possible, but I flipped the switch off behind me. Sorry.

Not to be all spoilery, but I think you will enjoy the reign of president Miley Cyrus.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So ... yes?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I also predict that by the 1990s we'll all have flying cars like on the Jetsons.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's just naive to answer yes or no.
    The question is based on the H.G. Wells concept of time travel that still persists in popular entertainment.
    Time travel has happened. Astronauts returning from the moon moved backward in time.

The issue is one of direction, though.
    Everything that can happen, does happen, so you can't move forward in any Wells-style concept of time travel. You'd simply be moving into one of an infinite set of realities.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Once you start seriously discussing time travel, it gets very complicated, very fast -- and not in a "is it technologically possible?" way.
    Time travel would involve, as Buck said, different versions of reality. The butterfly effect. Any little action can have severe consequences on reality as we know it. Or, are we the "true" future or just one of an infinite number of possible realities in some other timeline? Maybe someone 3,000 years from now has already come back and shaped history into the reality we know, and at one point it was different.
    Or, taking another page from "Doctor Who," or "Quantum Leap," is time malleable except for certain fixed points? Can we change small things, but must leave major events like Pearl Harbor alone for the good of humanity?

Time travel theories are never simple. They give me migraines. Even if it IS technologically possible, it shouldn't be considered as a viable action -- let alone the commercial enterprise NDJournalist idiotically suggested. Merely traveling backward in time could easily be akin to committing genocide, and that's with the best of intentions.

Draft saved Draft deleted