1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is time travel possible?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 2, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

"when this baby hits 88 MPH, you're going to see some serious shit"

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn, he looks good.

can anyone get me his personal trainer's e-mail address?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Carbon dating? Not sure, really, but it's certainly plausible.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Comparison of the onboard clocks to clocks left on earth (supposedly accurate to ten-thousandths of seconds a year). The difference was only hundredths of a second, but it was still measurable.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Forward? No. The future has not occurred yet. A wise gnome once noted, "Always moving is the future."

Backwards: Interesting question.

Let me throw some very dumbed-down physics at you, because I had to ask some very dumb questions of some very smart people. There are three points of view.

One says very simply, "Can't be done." You don't go anywhen. You might even die in the attempt.

Another says there's just one time stream and if you could travel backwards in that stream, then the point when you stop traveling backwards — the point in the past which you travel to — becomes "now" and your future has gone away. A reboot, so to speak.

On the third hand, you could go backward in time and superimpose yourself on events as with the prior case, but instead of erasing the future you came from you create a new timeline thanks to the events you affected in the present. The timeline you came from soldiers on, while the timeline you created exists parallel to and outside of the timeline you came from, thus avoiding niggling little details like predestination paradox.

Draft saved Draft deleted