1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this wrong of me on Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hey Ace, it's Christmas time. If warring factions call truces, can't I utter at least one compliment?

Glad it overwhelmed you.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks Yawn. I pretended my eyes were just itchy, so it wasn't too embarrassing.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Scribe,

You sound like the type of person I want to raise my kids if something unfortunate happens to me and my wife. Seriously.

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The issues here are on the in-law side. We all live in the same part of town, but I haven't seen the mother-to-be probably since last Christmas. Hubby hasn't seen she or her husband since the guy came over to our house, knocked on the door and threatened to beat him up last summer. That would have been a fatal mistake on the in-law's part; the hubby is built like a tight end. Good thing a cooler head prevailed.

I basically just stay out of it and let it play itself out, thankful that the drama in my own family is minimal. It's really none of my business; but the holiday season enforces gatherings that highlight all the drama.

My brother and his wife just had their first kid three months ago. Beautiful little girl. If anything happened to them, we'd take this kid and any others they have in a heartbeat and love them as our own. As it is, she's going to be the most spoiled, loved niece on the planet. She'll get her first tennis racket before she can walk. :)

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

With every hour, one more of my eggs dries up. Can't wait until we're too old to have people ask "the" question. :D

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same thing with my first cousin's BEAUTIFUL 2-year-old daughter.

Her sorry-ass dad went out of town to Memphis to work, called and said he wasn't coming back. He hasn't even called, much less sent money. Now, my cousin's busting her ass in school in, working a full-time job and raising the most beautiful kid I've ever seen.

We always have a Christmas fire and party at my aunt and uncle's home on Christmas eve. My uncle laid down with the baby to put her to sleep, and I began assembling Christmas toys. I had a blast. It took me two hours to put together a car she can ride in; I had to glue the plastic kitchen together; and I made seven trips to the storage shed to bring in all the dolls and such. Man, I had fun.

Makes me want one sooooo badly.

A kid, not dolls and a plastic kitchen.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I respect people who are comfortable not having kids for whatever reason a hell of a lot more than all the morons who have kids and shouldn't.

Also -- to be honest -- somewhat envious of them at times.

When the kids started out arguing and crying at 5:30 a.m. on Christmas Day, I thought it was going to be a looooong day. Turned out just great, though.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

She wrapped her cat...

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I give parents full leeway in complaining about their kids, whenever they need to, even when they want to trade 'em in or give 'em back.

It takes incredible unselfishness to devote everything you are, and everything you have, to trying to ensure the little creatures get the best possible start, and have the best possible life.
    I can't even imagine how difficult it is at times, especially if money's tight or you run on the work schedules some of us run on.

The look in their eyes on Christmas morning probably makes the previous weeks of going nuts worth every second.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The bad news: It doesn't, studies show.

The good news: The human mind is so remarkable that people are able to convince themselves that it does anyway.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1202940,00.html

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Aw, bring science into it, why dontcha!

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll agree that there's more stress in my marriage now than there ever was before Jack was around. My wife will probably agree as well, making that just about the only thing we agree on at this moment.

But there is something special about having kids that science can't rationalize or ever understand. It's the look in his eyes yesterday as he saw the cars make their first lap around his new track. It's him running to the door and yelling hello as I walk in the house. It's him trying to be a big boy and help daddy with some home projects. It's all that and much, much more.

Would I be richer if I didn't have kids? Yes, financially, but all the disposable income in the world can't make up for the love I get from a little man wearing disposable diapers.

I could go on, but I've got to get to my last appointment of the day. I can't keep Jack waiting too much longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted