1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this wrong of me on Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 25, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm sure that everyone here can think of a couple (or person) who is majorly fucked up and who we hope to god does not have children because the fact that they're so fucked up doesn't bode well for their ability to raise children.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... is this a spot for "This thread will not end well," or for "This sets up the rest of the thread nicely?"

I'll go with "this sets up the rest of the thread nicely" and then sit back and watch it unfold.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Didn't mean to make myself sound brilliant.
    For one thing, the decision ensures I won't fail at it. So we'll never know if I'm brilliant or not :)
    All props to those who do it. No doubt the hardest job they'll ever have.

What's a message board for if we can't have our judgmental and arrogant moments, anyway? :D :D :D :D

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not exactly how I meant the part about brilliance, but you got the point overall.

And yes, I definitely have my own judgemental and arrogant moments. :)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know why people put up with crap like this from relatives. Mine are all pretty cool, but if I were your parents, I would insist politely that everyone eat together on Thanksgiving. It's so much nice with everyone together, etc.

If grandma refused, I would not come visit her on the holiday. Ever.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

ballsy,

When are you going to start a family anyway? You're not getting any younger, you know.

7. Ballscribe,

I totally understand there are some factors you've decided not to share with us that influence your thoughts on the matter.

I'm just hoping that once your niece/nephew comes into the world, you'll be a supportive aunt and do everything you can to make her/his life as normal as possible, instead of looking at the little one as the unfortunate by-product of a decision you don't agree with. If your family has as many issues as you believe it has, the little one will need as many allies as possible.

In our family, my sister-in-law has absolutely zero desire to have her own children. However, she treats our three little ones like they are the most important people in the world, and my wife and I are thrilled and thankful that our daughter and sons have that.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Look dude, the truth shall set you free....confront. My grandpa, years ago, would get so pissed at my gramma for buying bullshit for kids (old man's house slippers and shit like that) that he'd whisper to us, "Put it in my trunk and I'm taking it back tomorrow, then we'll go find you something else."

First, she should be told she has no imagination or memory. Wait, check that, tell her BEFORE Christmas what the kids are asking Santa for and then tell her, "Boy you know that fifth crock pot you got still works as good as the first one," and maybe, just maybe, a brain cell will spark in her head and she'll go buy some other shit that WalMart has. Might even use YOUR parents as an example and tell your wife to tell her folks how much you really appreciate the gift cards you get from your own parents. Hopefully, she'll take a hint. Otherwise, she might just want you guys to be divorced and she's trying to get to you mentally.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My MIL is pretty sweet, but she had a habit of buying stuff and any time and hauling it with her from home.

Small stuff is fine. Big stuff is a problem. Our house is cluttered enough as it is. And she is a crazy addicted shopper.

So one time she asked me to bring her things in from the van. I assumed she meant a suitcase. I brought it in and remarked that she had a bunch of chairs in there, too. (Dining room-type chairs.)

She said, "Oh, those are for you."

I said, "We have enough chairs."

And the dining room chairs we had were hand-me-downs from my wife'sr grandmother, so I would never be able to toss those.

She insisted that the chairs were ours. I said, if I am brining chairs in, I'm taking chairs out to your van, too.

She started crying and said that they were a birthday gift for my wife. I said, "Fine. But I'm still loading these other chairs in your van if I take these."

And I did.

And the old chairs are still in her garage, and she hasn't bought us a stick of furniture since.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Attaboy. The truth, with in-laws, shall set you free and give you peace. Now and forevermore.

PS. They'll talk about you regardless, so you might as well keep everything above board.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

An Attaboy from Yawn!

I haven't been this choked up since Mrs. Clymer read the last chapter of Charlotte's Web in first grade.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Is the "crazy mother-in-law" thread separate from the "STUPID mother-in-law" thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted