1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Worthy of an Editorial

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 28, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, since we're off on a tangent anyway, alcohol really is about the most regulated product and process in the country.

And, it's mostly about taxation. Prior to prohibition, alcohol was one of the major sources of revenue for the federal government. The need for revenue was one of the main reasons prohibition ended.

Government wants to make sure they get their revenue, so they have all kinds of rules.

I saw something on tv about a "distillery pub". Like a brew pub, but they make liquor instead of beer. But, before they can sell their own spirits in the pub, they have to first sell it to the state liquor store (where it's taxed) and then buy it back. (I forget which state it was in, but it's one of the several where all retail store are owned by the state.)

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can't anyone in Seattle make a coffee that doesn't suck? Starbuck's is terrible, but it's freaking ambrosia compared to Seattle's Best. Dunkin' Donuts has the best coffee.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Getting back to vodka, I've toured a food-grade ethanol plant, with clients like Skyy, Jim Beam, etc. They sell the same vodka to Skyy that they sell to the local budget vodka distributor. It's just got a different label on it.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No news organizations kiss ass like local TV stations when an Ikea opens. I have often wondered if Ikea hires people to wait in line all night so they can be the first people in the new store, but, more important, attract the attention of the dimwits who produce the morning shows and do interviews, then cover this "news event" for the next few days. Even worse than the sweeps months features promising "the inside story on our network's hot new show."

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What you say is true, but it's still better than this.

Local TV news is always going to have shit like this and there really are people who get excited about IKEA. People drive hundreds of miles to go to one.

The is an editorial in (what was once) one of the major newspapers in America.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't know about by law, but by name the vodka is Absolut.

That's all I've got.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The other names are Ketel One and Grey Goose. But who's counting?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just had an overpriced mocha latte, but it wasn't at Starbucks, so there!

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You could have a serial murderer on the loose in the Bay Area, and it wouldn't get five minutes on the local news if it collides with the release of the newest Apple gadget.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Hey, no self-respecting small-town daily in one state would praise the anniversary of a multimillion dollar company headquarted halfway across the country in another state.
    In it's own state, maybe. In it's own town, sure. But not another state. How are we supposed to get ad revenue off that?
    We gots standards!

Draft saved Draft deleted