1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this unethical?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CCaple, Mar 2, 2009.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's bad. Had something similar happen here with a university info departmemt. They lifted one of our stories on a swim meet (turns out the coach called us and not them). No attribution. They stil take our stuff from time to time, but they put our names and "from The Podunk Press" at the top.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

if that was at a group press conference and everybody had access, then it's fair game. but sounds like the second writer wasn't there.

through the years, i've had sports information types not even put a tape recorder out or take down notes at a press conference they've set up, then corner us for the damn quotes so they can be used for their releases. sure, they were at the same press conference as we were, but that's just freakin' lazy.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

But sometimes the setting of something needs clarifying, and you can't say "told me." So what are you supposed to do?

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

They're on notice. They take any more of my stuff, either it's attributed properly or my lawyer gets a(nother) phone call.

And after reading your clarification, CCaple? Far as I'm concerned, it absolutely fits the definition of plagiarism.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree that's not cool, but I find it far more jarring when people write "this reporter" when they're referring to themselves.

There've been times when I've gotten something no one else had. If I do, I write it as "So and so told [name of media outlet]."

6. micke77

micke77 Member

okay, here's one for you. i've been in this business a good while, but can't recall last time i saw a story where the writer quoted somebody and did it with this type of approach:

"..........................," John Jocksniffer told me. "............................"

Told me?
    Is that kosher or a new style I've missed of late.
    Now this is in a general story, about a football team getting ready to start spring training and the writer is interviewing a player.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

John Jocksniffer was obviously talking to Peter King, because he uses that all the time.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I thought Peter King WAS a Jocksniffer.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That might depend on the publication. I used to work for an outlet that would use "told us" when a source spoke to us exclusively about something.

I still don't think "told me" passes muster. "Told this reporter" is like fingernails scraping a chalk board.

It's "said" people. You say he said, she said.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

forever_town....the "told me" doesn't pass muster with me. maybe, and even then it's somewhat of a stretch, it might would work in a blog or column.
    but this was a simple, regular, every day type of story on the football beat. it just really threw up that ol' "green light" when i read the quote from the coach and it had "..told me...."

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

You guys had me at "buttfucker."

Draft saved Draft deleted