1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the year we stop running MLB boxes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 20, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That is precisely right, HH, and I don't see why so many people in this business don't seem to understand that the classifieds/advertising is the biggest issue facing the industry. But the cost of newsprint is also a major factor in the newshole issues, no?
    Not that it really matters which is the biggest issue. Really, all we can do is work with the space we have, unless we are lucky enough to be in a position to affect the newshole. And if you have to make tough decisions, just think them through and stick with whatever decision you make. If that means cutting MLB boxes, then that is what has to be done.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Really? I agree that local is becoming more important and that it's the only unique content many papers can really offer now. But to say that readers don't care about national sports is just crazy.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have read and heard persuasive arguments that the price of newsprint is overrated as a concern. I dunno.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I've been hearing complaints about the cost of newsprint since I worked at a printing plant during my college days more than 10 years ago, so maybe you're right. Classifieds are the biggest issue financially, and advertising certainly plays a huge role in determining the newshole.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm pretty sure we're going to dump roundups this year in favor of keeping our expanded (long) boxes. I cut the long boxes in favor of standard boxes in September last year and thought my house was going to get set on fire.

We've got a MLB team nearby and a minor league team in town. I think we're going to expand coverage of those two, go with the expanded boxes and say goodbye to virtually everything else, save an expanded baseball report on Sundays.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

We are flooded with complaints when any box scores in any sport are cut. People grow up and realize we NEED these in newspapers! Taking away copy means no readers. All Internet is comin.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You work at my paper?

You were there when no readers called to complain when we cut MLB box scores?

Weird. I always wondered what that crazy co-worker of mine's handle was.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I've never understood people using "You can get it on the web" as a legit argument.

I know news hole is getting harder to find. But aren't we just encouraging our readers to look elsewhere for information we can provide (give we have space)? Even if it's only on our web site, won't that give the suits the hits and clicks they want?

I also saw a competing newspaper run a story about Local State University's football game. Maybe my newspaper won't cover the same game because people can get that story on the web, right?

I agree that absolutes are not the best line of thinking. You've got to listen to your readers.

As for box scores, put them in your BLOGS!!!

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fine. I understand your logic, but when the newshole keeps getting smaller, what do you cut in order to get them in? Cut roundups? Fine, but that doesn't always give you the space you need.

If it were my call, I'd cut the darn preps, but some people scream to the heavens if you do that, too.

I don't have an answer. I'm just glad I don't have to fight that battle anymore.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

See, this is why there is no universal model.

Our high school sports are on par with most D-I colleges.

So, if you cut our preps, then you might as well fold up our paper.

There is no easy answer to the shrinking news hole. There is also no universal answer.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Exactly. I'm just saying that as a matter of personal preference, of what I would most likely read. I realize I'm not everyone.

So, again, what's your formula? The paper I used to work at has gone from 6 pages to 4 most days, 3 on Mondays. SOMETHING'S got to go. I'm pretty darn good at squeezing a lot out of a little, but it just got to the point where it became a nightmare. Creativity was out the window in favor of shoe-horning things in.

Sure, you can do all sorts of things on the internet. But when you are talking about the printed page, there's a finite amount of space.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, my paper rid itself of national sports, except in the summer or when we randomly have 6 pages. There just isn't a point. Our circulation hasn't dropped any and we don't have increased phone calls of bitching.

I know my situation isn't necessarily normal, but it has worked for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted