1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the kitchen sink for airline CEOs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Jul 9, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. WS

WS Member

I got the same thing from Delta, since I've got 1,000 flyer points and all.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got that from Delta and was waiting for the punch line: "...in response to all this oil hoo-hah, we are tripling all fares and canceling the cheapies you bought six months ago, smart guy."
  4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was written by one of Singleton's HR guys.
  5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll defend the airlines here, to the extent that we all know that with each $20 fare bump, more marginal leisure customers are driven out of the marketplace.

It's not anticapitalist to observe that the margin requirements for oil futures trading are
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's like a spork in the eye...
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

All I know is I've got my fucking fingers crossed that AirTran doesn't cancel all flights for the days I'm flying home for my sister's wedding in October. I bought tickets months ago, and I'm holding out hope that the airline will still exist and I'll at least have a plane to catch.

They sent me an e-mail on Friday to change my flight times (and essentially rob us of the final day of our trip, moving the departure time from the 7 p.m. I was looking forward to, to 11:30 a.m. instead.) I called today to "decline" the changes, and they said they had no other flights available that day to offer me. So, now I'm stuck leaving a lot earlier than I want to, but what can I do except get a refund and then spend twice as much booking a flight on a different airline -- or taking it?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is a PR coup ... by Southwest and only Southwest, which locked in way-cheaper fuel prices years ago.
  9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Delta pulled out of my hometown this week. And I was holding a ticket to go home for Christmas, paid for by Skymiles.....

At least I can fly in semi-cheaply to an airport an hour away.
  10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Southwest will have to pay the piper eventually too.....
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

... but not till 2010, and who knows what the price will be after the oil bubble inevitably pops?

Draft saved Draft deleted