1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the kitchen sink for airline CEOs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Jul 9, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.hawaiianair.com/Specialoffers/Pages/SOS-Now.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. WS

WS Member

I got the same thing from Delta, since I've got 1,000 flyer points and all.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got that from Delta and was waiting for the punch line: "...in response to all this oil hoo-hah, we are tripling all fares and canceling the cheapies you bought six months ago, smart guy."

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was written by one of Singleton's HR guys.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll defend the airlines here, to the extent that we all know that with each $20 fare bump, more marginal leisure customers are driven out of the marketplace.

It's not anticapitalist to observe that the margin requirements for oil futures trading are
    dirt-cheap.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's like a spork in the eye...

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

All I know is I've got my fucking fingers crossed that AirTran doesn't cancel all flights for the days I'm flying home for my sister's wedding in October. I bought tickets months ago, and I'm holding out hope that the airline will still exist and I'll at least have a plane to catch.

They sent me an e-mail on Friday to change my flight times (and essentially rob us of the final day of our trip, moving the departure time from the 7 p.m. I was looking forward to, to 11:30 a.m. instead.) I called today to "decline" the changes, and they said they had no other flights available that day to offer me. So, now I'm stuck leaving a lot earlier than I want to, but what can I do except get a refund and then spend twice as much booking a flight on a different airline -- or taking it?

Fuckheads.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is a PR coup ... by Southwest and only Southwest, which locked in way-cheaper fuel prices years ago.

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Delta pulled out of my hometown this week. And I was holding a ticket to go home for Christmas, paid for by Skymiles.....

At least I can fly in semi-cheaply to an airport an hour away.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Southwest will have to pay the piper eventually too.....

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

... but not till 2010, and who knows what the price will be after the oil bubble inevitably pops?

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/06/13/0613swa.html

Draft saved Draft deleted