1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the "Age of Ignorance"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 21, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fixed again.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll let my 77 year-old mom, who watches nothing but Fox News, and plans her errands around driving in the car when Rush is on, that the younger generation is incapable of intelligent thought.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who said this?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's funny.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bobo's in paradise

7. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Generally speaking for voters my age: Because we feel like no matter who is in office, times will continue to be bleak. There's no jobs, no money, growing debt... we can't afford to keep the light at the end of the tunnel on anymore.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I went to college in the late 70s/early 80s, and let me tell you, there were a lot of idiots in college then, too. (Including many of the professors.)

Many of my parents' contemporaries -- "Greatest Generationers" born in the 20s and 30s -- were morons as well. For that matter, quite a few of the people in my grandparents' age group (born before 1900) were pretty batty to boot.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Mere ignorance is a bit passé.

Arrogant ignorance is the new spatterdashes.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How do we classify someone who looked up Age of Ignorance on the Internet?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can appreciate that. It took me until I was in my 30s to realize they are all full of shit.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The ignore button is a wonderful device, dreunc. Trust me.

And as someone who taught at a university for six years, there's a lot of truth to Bauerlein's statement. I had some students who were extremely intelligent. But they were invariably outnumbered by those who were massively ignorant on anything but pop culture. I used to give news quizzes on current events and the level of ignorance on stuff going on right freakin' now was staggering.

It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with what Bauerlein referred to in that paragraph.

Draft saved Draft deleted