1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this the "Age of Ignorance"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

With the caveat that I haven't read the book, that's not exactly something limited to those under 30. I know many people under 30 who are significantly more intellectually curious than some others I know who are older than 30.

I don't disagree that the Internet can be a problem for a variety of reasons, though, for people of any age.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That does not mean, in isolated cases, that they are not correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I think the appropriate citation is Richard Hofstader, and go from there.

Viewed in that way, there's not a thing unhinged about that essay -- he's saying Hofstader was right.

And he was.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You can be intellectually curious and still be ignorant.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree with you. In fact, I find that among my peer group, particularly college classmates, intellectual curiosity seems to wane as time passes. But I think that Bauerlein's premise is appropriate because the generation coming through now, essentially people under 30, is the first to grow up on the Internet the way we grew up on TV. And certainly the Internet and technology in the context of formal education is a worthwhile topic that is confined to young people.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think in our travels we've all found people of any age who are stupid and uninformed. It doesn't take growing up with the Internet to actively narrow your mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Before I make a decision on this Simic guy and what he has to say, I need to know his politics.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

True, but it's much less likely.

It's like saying you can work out and still be out of shape.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The fat trainer at my old gym wants to kick your ignorant ass.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's a condition that cures itself.

Simic is describing inoperable incuriosity.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Gimme a minute, I'll think my way out of it.

This.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm not sure many people, no matter how smart or well-read, are truly intellectually curious. We tend to form opinions on big stuff early on and spend our lives seeking out information to back them up.

Draft saved Draft deleted