1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Story Old?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm new to covering a certain beat, and I've been googling players' names, reading archives at our paper, etc. to get a feel for the team, come up with story ideas and background, etc.

Anyway, I see a player transfered to the school last fall and had to sit out the first semester last season. So, that means this will be his first full season with the team and first full season in nearly two years.

In searching the archives, there was never an in depth story as to why he wanted out of his last school, why he transferred and why he chose the team I'm now covering. There was a brief that said "Joe Brown is transferring from Podunk U to Bumville State. He's expected to start after he sits out the first semester."

Then, there's a story on his debut that doesn't examine anything I mentioned a couple of paragraphs above.

I think it's worth doing a story as to why he's here and how he got here.

Thoughts?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Probably. Might depend on the school. The football team I cover (I-AA) has so many transfers that I'd never be able to get to all of them.

3. Go for it. You can paralyze yourself on a new beat trying to figure out what hasn't been done before. Just do things your own way, making sure it's not a complete d_B, and move forward.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, it's pretty big transfer actually. The kid went from a "better" program to a school closer to home. That in itself wasn't touched on.

Draft saved Draft deleted