1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this satire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd say no. Clumsy comedy writing but with a clear point -- I don't like all the baseball stat geeks!

Agree or not, I think it's silly that some of these stats -- GIDP/H -- morphed into the boxscores with never a key or way for casual readers to know what the hell it means.

2. I ask because a few weeks ago there was one of these on ESPN.com that turned out to be written by a Baseball Prospectus guy as a satire.

This AOL piece seems to push too many buttons to be real.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or Earl Weaver. He would have been so busy thumbing through computer printouts, he wouldn’t have had time to sneak in a half-pack of smokes in the runway.

Hysterical. Because Earl Weaver did just that in a way.

He was famous for keeping reams of note cards containing such things as individual players' averages against individual pitchers, before anyone else was doing it. The Earl is probably worshipped above all managers in baseball history by sabermetricians.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.os5020aug20,0,3693060.story?coll=bal-baseball-storyutil

EDIT: To include link.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That one was actually ... what's the word ... um ... good!

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted