1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this right???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Nov 19, 2008.

1. I was reading a major metro newspaper message board recently and saw that its columnist was talking about his trip home from covering a sporting event. The columnist said that he was looking forward to resting in first class with a cocktail.
    OK, that's fine. However, this columnist works for a company I use to work for before my current gig. To say it nicely, this company is in dire straits. My former colleagues are all worried about their jobs (like everyone else, I guess) and work very hard (like everyone else) at a paper with a circulation of about 50K.
    Anyways, is it right that this company can pay a first-class ticket for a columnist when the corporation is not doing well financially? Perhaps I'm thinking too much, but this struck me as kind of odd. I know this reporter was not flying with the team.

Have a good Thanksgiving week everyone!!!!

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

maybe he used his mileage points to bump up to first??? if not, this truly sucks.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Or he could have been writing tongue-in-cheek.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or taken the cash-for-seat-upgrade option. Usually a lot cheaper than paying full fare for first class.

6. hankschu

hankschu Member

Yeah, I fly first class all the time on my beat with upgrades accrued through all the miles I fly.

I don't brag about it on a blog, though.

I can't think of a beat writer or columnist I know who regularly flies first class.

7. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Back when I covered a beat and flew often, I upgraded to first class whenever possible using Frequent Flyer points. It was pretty easy to do back then and didn't cost the company anything extra. But I never wrote about it and wouldn't now.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Some of the big-name columnists have it in their contracts that they fly first class when they travel. The big gun at one of my previous stops reportedly had it written into his contract that his rental car on the road must be a Lincoln Town Car.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hopefully, he's either retired or no longer has that clause ... given that the Town Car is officially dead as of this fall.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

First class every time, yeah, that'd be all right. But I like having different rental cars.

11. strunk_you

strunk_you Member

sometimes the corporate office will upgrade you without you even asking. big companies can rack up vouchers pretty quickly.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Damn him.

He also should be writing his stories out with pen and paper and faxing it in for someone to retype rather than using a fancy expensive laptop computer!

Draft saved Draft deleted