1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this REALLY appropriate behavior from a professional journalist?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hostility, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Best post this year. But it's early.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would fire the guy for being unfunny.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Cowley said it was his internet persona speaking not himself. He's a big wrestling fan apparently and wanted to take on one of
    the wrestling type in your face twitter personas and people didn't get it. Do you think that should matter? Warn him and have that be that.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If you admit to be a wrestling fan and you're past your mid-20s, you shouldn't be allowed gainful employment in this country.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Bless you.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fixed.

7. Story_Idea

Story_Idea New Member

I know Joe a little bit. Haven't seen him in a while, but like most people who have covered baseball, we've crossed paths. It's a small world, really.

I can't say I like him. I can't say I don't like him, although our personalities don't exactly match up. He's definitely a guy who likes to cultivate a certain persona about himself as a man's man. He's extremely opinionated and can be extremely withering to those he considers lesser - and he's the kind of guy who can do it with a look - and this was going back to his days at the Daily Southtown. There are some people in his circle who worship him. There are some that can't stand him. He's that kind of polarizing figure, even within the insular MLB world.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Cowley placed on double-secret probation.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15327691/sun-times-puts-cowley-on-%E2%80%98final-notice%E2%80%99-for-sexist-tweets

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

A comment from the link I just posted:

Holy fuck. Is this actually true? Does the Chicago Sun-Times have multiple staffers living SEVEN hours away?

10. Story_Idea

Story_Idea New Member

Their prior Sox beat writer lived in L.A. And it's not just the Sun-Times. Mike Downey lived in L.A. as his primary residence when he was writing columns for the Trib, I believe.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So does he write from his couch for home games, or does the paper actually pay travel expenses for him to go to games IN CHICAGO?

And, oy, Mike Downey. I'm told he was the cat's ass when he wrote for the L.A. Times, but he was the worst Chicago-area columnist I've ever read not named Mike Imrem.

12. Story_Idea

Story_Idea New Member

Cowley's a columnist now, not a beat writer. I think he kind of lived like a player does when he was a beat writer, making a home in Chicago during the season and in Minny during the offseason. Not sure how he pulled that off on a Southtown salary. I just figured he had permanently relocated by this point now that it looked like he was in Chicago for good. I was under the impression before that he wanted to eventually get into the Strib or Pioneer Press before the Sun-Times brought him over.

Draft saved Draft deleted