1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this really a 'clown question bro?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Rambler

Rambler Member

Clown question and appropriate answer.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm surprised some of the paper chains aren't already requiring this.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This kind of question goes boom or bust, and I've seen both. (This obviously was a bust.)

The key is knowing the person. Don't know Harper as I really don't cover baseball anymore, but it wouldn't be hard to find out if the guy has a sense of humour or plays along w/this kind of stuff when he's in the right mood.

Just because a guy's Mormon doesn't mean he can't roll with this. Maybe some Mormons are the kind of people who'd joke about it. But, Harper isn't. As a reporter, you have to know that.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Elliotte, what's the end game? What was the upside if he does roll with this? Because I just don't see what it's going to get the questioner.

5. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Mike Trout thinks that phrase is played out

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least Harper wasn't tazed.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Ya know, Moddy, I have to admit I did not know that.

Now, in terms of professional baseball, I am a fan. I do not cover it at all, much less as a beat writer, and I tend to be more Red Sox-specific.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

How much are these shirts going for?

I'd like to get one for me son. :D

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't knocking you - no reason for you to know that. But if you were covering the Nats or doing something on the greatest phenom not named Trout, you'd obviously do a little research. There's a ton of stuff out there on Harper's upbringing, family, faith, etc. It probably isn't a good question for any 19-year-old in that setting. It is plain disrespectful to a 19-year-old Mormon.

10. I respectfully disagree, unless there is something in the Mormon scriptures that prohibits both alcohol and a sense of humor.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And again, what are you trying to get from it? Are you trying to establish you're cool to Bryce Harper, or the beat writers? Because you aren't getting real story information with that question.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The word is it was a junior TV reporter who asked the question. Draw your own conclusions.

Draft saved Draft deleted