1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this really a 'clown question bro?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think anyone who has a problem with the way Harper handled that needs to lighten up themselves.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Or maybe the reporter knew that the vast majority of Mormon kids are on their missions at 19 and assumed that one wouldn't be playing baseball. Especially one so wonderfully religious.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Just a note, the subject of the thread should real 'clown question bro'? As the question is not part of the phrase in the quote.

And yes, clown question. Especially in that format. If you feel the need to ask something nonsensical like that, not in the damn mass group interview.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really, stop and think about it. What was to be accomplished by asking that question at that point? Either you:

a) Think you're going to write a sidebar about the favorite beer of a 19-year-old Mormon athlete. In which case you're slow.

b) Are trying to impress the other professional writers in the circle with your rapier wit. In which case you're a douche.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm definitely in the "It was a clown question" camp. That guy sounded like a "morning zoo" type radio host who infiltrated the regular press corps to ask the question so he could brag about it on his show the next morning.

And I thought Harper handled it perfectly.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'm guessing it was just a sort of ice-breaker question. Because the thought that a 19-year-old athlete has been waiting all season for the team's one trip to Canada so that he could score a beer is ludicrous. As ice-breaker questions go, this was a bit silly, but not a big deal at all.

Clown question. Appropriate answer. Time to move on.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree on all points.

Though I may try to make a little money on the side by doing product placement questions in the future.

Hey Bryce, what's your favorite after shave?

Hey Lebron, what's your favorite brand of underwear?

I'll be rich, dammit!

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you typically do ice-breaker questions in group gropes like that?

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

No, I think that's part of what made it a clown question.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Clown haircut, bro:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

So he asked a 19-year-old kid, who cannot legally drink, about his favorite beer?

Yeah, that's a clown question. Ridiculous.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He is old enough to drink in Canada. But that is not the point. As others have noted, it wasn't the right setting for a question like that. And it shows an ignorance of and disrespect for his religion. If you've done even a smidge of research on Harper, you know he's Mormon.

Draft saved Draft deleted