1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this really a 'clown question bro?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Any feeling on the legitimacy of the question or Harper's reaction.

EDIT1: Posted topic before I knew Harper was Mormon. Definitely stupid question, but not really handled very gracefully, either.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Finally. A discussion about the second best rookie in the major leagues. At best.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's the sort of question you can get away with in a joking manner or as an icebreaker when you've got a one-on-one with a guy, but not something that should have been asked in that format.

4. JackReacher

Get used to the phrase. Especially if you live in the DC area. It's gonna be around for a while. Someone's already made t-shirts. I'm placing an order later. Who's with me?

5. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

Was that a Nats' media relations guy who tried to cut him off? Or another reporter?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tigervols

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did you order a Cised for Bryce? I figured you would, given your slurping of Harper and love of the Junkies.

I'm holding out for Tickled for Trout

(it was a Nats PR guy)

8. Honestly, I didn't have a problem with the question or the answer.

I do have a problem with the Nats p.r. guy hovering around. Reminds me too much of college. This is big-boy baseball. Let the kid talk. He's perfectly capable of saying, "I'd prefer not to answer your question, bro."

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Nats PR guy actually said "clown question, bro," same words as Harper, right?

In any case it was a ridiculous question and I'm glad the guy got embarrassed.

10. JackReacher

Not yet. But soon. I'll get you one, too.

Trout's shirt will simply have a giant number one on it. Nothing else. People will know. Oh, people will know.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was just a dumb question asked by a reporter who probably forgot the kid is only 19 and definitely didn't know he was mormon. Harper handled it fine. NBD.

12. JackReacher

He knew Harper was 19. That was the whole point of the question.

Draft saved Draft deleted