1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this photo offensive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 3, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't think the photograph is ornamental. It's a seasonal cliche, if anything...with the caveat that it's a young black boy depicted.
    There have to be choices. Choices never made in a vacuum with consequences in mind. That's why having newsroom debate is valuable.
    If you ever get a chance to hear or ask Nick Ut, the great AP photographer, about news value in photography, you should. He's one of the best men and teachers I've met in our profession.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What are we supposed to do, tell African-Americans to quit attending watermelon-seed-spitting contests out of concern that their picture might appear in the paper??!!

3. fishwrapper

I know that is rhetorical.
    But, there's nothing wrong with having the debate and being conscious of slurs and insensitivities. That's the mark of a good editor. Someone that isn't a literalist, someone that can see ramifications past boxes and type.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I know a black guy who will not eat fried chicken or watermelon around people he doesn't know.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a cute photo.

Based on the initial post, I was expecting something more like what Mizzougrad96 posted.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Not offensive in the least, though many have already told you that.
    Run with it.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's his problem.

8. Frylock

Frylock Member

It's just a kid spitting a seed.
    If it was of the kid chowing down on a big slice of watermelon, then it probably should be questioned.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Since there's also a photo of a white woman participating in the spitting contest, there should be no problem.

10. fishwrapper

What if she were spooning from a jar of mayonnaise?

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think you take a conservative approach with trivial shit so you can spend your time answering angry calls about how you pushed the envelope on the big shit.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I consider myself a pretty sympathetic and empathetic person when the need arises, and I try to be sensitive to stereotypes.

But, why would this photo be offensive? It's a harmless feature photo. Anybody reading more into it is the one with the problem.

Now, that said, news-value wise, it'd have been nice to get an equally good shot of the winner, and if the photog did that, then I'd have used that.

This whole thread reminds of that blow-up about Tiger Woods and his fried-chicken thing.

What, the guy can't just like fried chicken?

Draft saved Draft deleted