1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this photo offensive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We are having a lot of debate about this in our office.
    The main photo for a story about a watermelon seed-spitting contest at a county fair is of a 7-year-old black boy. The kid was not the winner. The photo has great action.
    Absurd faux pas or fair event coverage?
    Sorry for just the link. I couldn't figure out how to post the photo alone.

www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/07/02/news/coastal/del_mar/z41423942ada784d4882575e7007e06d6.txt

2. If you staged it, I have a problem. Otherwise, it's a fair representation of what happened.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lots of white guilt you've got floating around in your newsroom.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The person most offended is a younger Mexican woman.
    Most of the rest of us are old white dudes and we don't have as much a problem with it as she does.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Not offensive, but the photographer needs to give some thought to the background, depth of field and camera angle.

(Everyone's a critic.)

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She needs to get laid.

Don't tell her this story -- one of my teammates brought a big watermelon to our game doubeheader last week. Cut it up in between innings. We all munched on it. Even gave some to the other team. Only guy who didn't want any was the ump, who was also the only black guy there. How's that for stereotypes??

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree with Demo. It's what happened. It's a decent picture. If a black person gets shot during a holdup at KFC, would you not report it because it happened at a fried chicken place?
    Also, a question ... in the print edition, did you run both the picture of the black kid and the white woman? Seems like that would balance things out no matter your feelings on the issue. It'd show that there weren't just black folks there.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The boy's picture was in color on the cover of the local section and the woman's was black and white on the jump.
    I see no problem with this photo at all.
    If you're doing an article on black heritage and you show people eating watermelon, it's bad. In this context, it's perfectly acceptable.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Picture is fine, or should be.

SOMEBODY will find it offensive. But I don't think you can edit that way in this case.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Yes, the picture of the white gal is pretty offensive.

Appears she's savoring the taste of something sticky before swallowing.

Perhaps someone else in your newsroom can confirm whether she's using the proper technique.

In reality, sounds you folks waste a lot of time in your newsroom.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think we're being overly sensitive. I don't have a problem with it.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

precisely. we had a rule for a while in my shop that no reference in heds, caps or copy couild be made to a particular player who performed well as being one who "shined."

that's about as guilt-ridden a rule as possible, imho. it no longer exists, best i can tell.

Draft saved Draft deleted