1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this newspaper ad anti-Semitic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 16, 2007.

?

Well, is it?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2007.
  1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Maybe

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Is this newspaper ad anti-Semetic?

As an advertiser, you don't want to prolong this debate by using this ad again. Doesn't do anything to help your image or sell your product.

Get your PR department to spin the fact that you'e pulling the ad from circulation and the fuss will be over in a couple of days.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And before the Catholacs, Lutherins, Anglecans, Baptests and others go any further discussing whether or not the ad was anti-Semetic, it might be better suited if the word was spelled Semitic....

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I noticed you didn't include episco-, uhm, episscopal-, ah hell ... Anglicans.

BTW, I am Episcopalian.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have no use for English bed-wetting types...

5. Outing alert -- Slappy is:

[​IMG]

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For that, I will fart in your general direction...

7. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

8. Fetchez la vache!

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I figured he was a professor, but I was thinking more along the lines of the old guy from "Fame."

BTW, nothing wrong with the ad. Anyone who's offended, take the PC stick out of your ass.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I had to wear a keepah and tallit for 2 years at the Hebrew Academy Lubavitch, an orthodox school, from 4th to 6th grade. Nothing like waiting for the bus as all of the friends with whom you went to public school from K-3 walked by and snickered at you and called you all sorts of derogatory remarks. Talk about good times in the LBC ...

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

the ad was not anti-semitic. that said, due to the ensuing controversy, it must be pulled. 'cause now you can't help but see it as being a jew in the picture. rule of thumb: if some folks can see it that way, the don't go there.

shockey the jew

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Now that's a capital nickname.

As for the ad: I thought Jews controlled the banks and the media? How could this have happened? Is Louis Farrakhan leading me astray?

Draft saved Draft deleted